1 | MISS KNIGHTLY

[ I know I said a day or two but I got too excited and stayed up writing this and now it's almost two in the morning but here. if you've been here before, you know I'm an impatient liar. maybe I'll wake up to some amazing comments ]

✵︎

HAVE SOME DECORUM.

NERISSA KNIGHTLY was never in bed when she was meant to be

NERISSA KNIGHTLY was never in bed when she was meant to be. If she wasn't out wandering the streets of Port Royal — which her Uncle Weatherby hated despite the fact that it was a harmless town — she was sitting in the small flower garden she'd grown behind the Swann Manor, her stolen dog at her feet. She'd always preferred the company of dirt and brightly-colored petals and Nash to that of the snotty, well-mannered ladies of high society.

Excluding Elizabeth Swann, her cousin, of course.

Ever since arriving at Port Royal, the girls that were one year apart grew as thick as thieves. More sisters than cousins, Governor Swann thought at times, which brought joy to his aging heart. He'd missed his dear sister so much, and Nerissa reminded him of her quite a lot. They shared the same rebellious and mischievous spirit.

Nerissa was sitting along the bench that was near her bushes of hibiscus and one of jacaranda, and she was softly singing the very song she'd heard Jack Sparrow singing to himself all those years ago. It was one of the only pirate songs she knew.

The girl didn't necessarily think of the pirate when she sang it. In fact, she thought very little of him, which was more than he thought of her, she was sure. She just found peace in the song, reminded of her younger days. Pirates were much more frequent in Nassau than in Port Royal, she quickly learned.

And that meant it was boring in her eyes.

But at least she had friends. Elizabeth and that William Turner that felt more like an annoying brother than friend at times. Nerissa was just waiting for the two to fall in love and get married so that she could spend the rest of her life teasing them.

"You know," a voice spoke up from the other side of the short fence. "You could be hanged for singing such vile things."

Nerissa couldn't help but smile at the threat, getting up and turning to face the man who always brightened her day. Even Nash brightened up at his second favorite person, but he was far too old to get up and run over to James as she did.

"Only if you're the one tightening the noose, Captain Norrington," she teased, coming closer. "Or is it Commodore, yet?"

"Soon," he said with a smile, looking down shyly.

As she got nearer, Nerissa could make out his handsome features better. Long gone was James' ridiculous powdered wig — which she often made fun of — and his uniform, his brown hair was nearly combed back. He wasn't patrolling the streets. He was simply on a walk and found himself passing by the Swann Manor as he often did, seeking out his closest friend.