2 | THE CEREMONY

[ let's see if wattpad wants to give an update notification this time around ]

✵︎

I'M GONNA STAB YOU ONE DAY.

"I'M NOT EVEN OUT OF THE CARRIAGE and I want to kill myself

"I'M NOT EVEN OUT OF THE CARRIAGE and I want to kill myself."

Elizabeth smirked at Nerissa. "Sorry. Don't think I'll be letting you do that."

"It's just so damn hot," Nerissa complained, and that was inside the carriage. Soon, she and Elizabeth would have to follow Weatherby outside and watch the ceremony.

"You'll survive if it means you get to see James at the end of it," Elizabeth said knowingly. "Speaking of, I thought you might like something."

Nerissa raised a questioning eyebrow as Elizabeth removed the medallion that'd been hiding beneath her bodice. Then she handed the necklace to Nerissa.

"For good luck," Elizabeth said simply

"What on earth do I need luck for?" Nerissa asked while taking the trinket.

There was a secret smile on Elizabeth's face. "I just felt as if you'd need it today, is all," she said coyly. "Now, come. This carriage is much too stuffy for me."

"You can say that again," she said while slipping the necklace on. Then she got out of the cart, offering Elizabeth a hand to help her down afterward.

Nerissa would've killed anyone, herself included, if it meant she could get out of the overbearing sun. Both she and Elizabeth and every other lady gathered were whipping their fans back and forth as if their lives depended on it.

Because they just about did.

The corset was digging into her sternum, and she could feel sweat rolling down her back. Nerissa was feeling a bit lightheaded even, however that all went away when James walked out from the fort. She was quite alert now that he was present.

His fellow soldiers were divided into two columns, following orders as they came about face, their rapiers raised. James walked slowly between them toward the presentational podium where Swann was waiting.

Though he couldn't turn his head, James still let his eyes scan the small crowd gathered for him, spotting Nerissa front and center with her cousin. And upon making eye contact, she scrunched up her nose. He had to bite his tongue hard to keep from smiling, glad that she was in the crowd and there to make the day all the more better.

As Swann presented James with his sword, Nerissa watched with interest as he performed a few saluting moves, testing out the balance on the practically perfect weapon. She only wished Will were there to see how much his own work was appreciated.