16 | THE CHEST

[ this is a filler chapter as I try to regain inspiration. also it ends suddenly but it was getting kind of long and there was no good stopping point ]

✵︎

YOU'D DO WELL TO REMEMBER THAT.

JAMES WAS BACK TO SWABBING THE DECK, and Nerissa wasn't inclined to feel bad for him

JAMES WAS BACK TO SWABBING THE DECK, and Nerissa wasn't inclined to feel bad for him. Sure, they'd made up and she had taken him back, but he deserved punishment for leaving her behind. Though every time she'd glance at him, all she could picture was his head between her legs, the way his newly acquired beard scraped her thighs, and that which he was hiding underneath his breaches.

Yes, she decided, being on the same ship as James was far too distracting. It was best he got the pardon letters and fled as soon as possible while she remained behind to deal with Jack and Davy Jones and Beckett.

The last of which was the current topic of conversation between her, Gibbs, Elizabeth, and Jack. Elizabeth was showing the coveted pardon to Jack and explaining how she came across it — coincidentally outing Nerissa and Will for working with the East India Trading Company.

"Beckett?" Gibbs asked, only slightly familiar with the name.

"Yes, they're signed. Lord Cutler Beckett of the East India Trading Company," Elizabeth explained.

Jack just pulled a face while gagging, fully remembering the dreadful man.

"Will was working for Beckett and never said a word," Gibbs said, also glaring at Nerissa, who shrugged sheepishly. "Beckett wants the compass. Only one reason for that."

"Why's that?" Nerissa asked, still not sure how the device worked.

It was Jack who answered, though not her real question, of course. "Of course. He wants the chest."

"Yes," Elizabeth hummed. "He did say something about a chest."

Jack shot her an unimpressed look, feeling like she should've mentioned that earlier. Then his gaze slid to Nerissa, who just rolled her eyes. She didn't owe him any kind of explanation.

"If the company controls the chest, they control the sea," Gibbs said.

"A truly discomfiting notion, love," Jack added.

"And bad. Bad for every mother's son what calls himself a pirate. I think there's a bit more speed to be coaxed from these sails. Brace the foreyard!" Gibbs shouted, stalking off along the deck.

"Might I enquire as to how you came by these?" Jack then asked Elizabeth. "Not even Nerissa Darling had her hands on them."

"Persuasion," she answered simply.

Nerissa smirked and asked, "Friendly?"

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, silently asking her what she thought. "Decidedly not."