5 | I LOATHE YOU

WHAT'VE I SAID WRONG?

NERISSA HAD BEEN RIGHT

NERISSA HAD BEEN RIGHT. Tortuga was a vile place. The dank port was filthy, scum littering the sand, brought in from the tides. Merchants were being terrorized by pirates for sport, guns were blazing, and painted ladies were waltzing around the streets, looking for customers.

Both Will and Nerissa studied their surroundings dubiously, and she pulled James' coat tighter around her body, ducking her nose into the collar, hoping the fading scent of him would distract from the overwhelming smell of alcohol.

And of course, Jack was blathering on like it was the best place on the planet. "More importantly, it is indeed a sad lot that has never breathed deep the sweet proliferous bouquet that is Tortuga, savvy? What do you think?"

As he did so, Nerissa took in a skeptical breath only to nearly choke on it when she smelled vomit. Her nose went right back to the collar, closing her eyes and thinking of James and her home. Just because she sympathized with pirates didn't mean she was meant to be one.

"It'll linger," Will muttered while standing nearer to Nerissa.

"I'll tell you, mate, if every town in the world were like this one, no man would ever feel unwanted," he told them. And as he finished, a pretty redhead in a scarlet dress spotted him, striding forward with purpose. "Scarlett!"

Only to be slapped hard in the face before she stormed off. Nerissa had to turn and hide her face in Will's arm as she laughed.

"Not sure I deserved that," Jack muttered while turning back. Just as a smiling blonde approached, planting herself in front of him. Jack smiled charmingly, holding out his hands. "Giselle!"

"Who was she?" Giselle asked, pointing after Scarlett. But she didn't even give Jack time to answer before slapping him again even harder. And Nerissa laughed harder as well.

"I may have deserved that," Jack said quietly, a frown on his face.

"You deserve it for coming here in the first place," Nerissa said, crossing her arms. "And it makes me want to slap you as well."

"Adorable," Jack cooed. "Nerissa Darling thinks she can hurt a man with those dainty little fingers — son of a bitch!"

Nerissa had gotten annoyed and formed a fist, swinging it with all her strength as she punched Jack in the nose. James had taught her when she was sixteen how to throw a proper punch, wanting to make sure she knew how to take care of herself should he not be there to protect her.

Clearly, it paid off if the impressed look on Will's face was anything to go by.

"Fuck," Jack swore while wiggling his sore nose that may have been fractured. "This bloody town is rubbing off on you. We should escape this wretched pit as quickly as possible."