3 | ALL YOUR LIFE

I'LL PARDON YOU FOR IT, BUT ONLY THIS ONCE.

"I THINK IT'S CURSED

"I THINK IT'S CURSED."

"What?" Elizabeth asked, laughing a bit as she sat on Nerissa's bed.

She just held out the medallion, returning it to Elizabeth. "William almost drowned wearing it. I almost drowned wearing it. It must be cursed."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes playfully while taking the necklace and slipping it on. "It is not cursed. Just because it is a pirate medallion does not mean it is cursed."

Nerissa raised a skeptical eyebrow before going behind her changing partition where Muriel was waiting with a dry dress which was much lighter than the blue one she'd sadly lost. And there was no corset. The simple, green day dress felt like a breath of relief — literally.

Elizabeth peeked around the partition and frowned. "What are you putting on? You should be in your bedclothes. Father doesn't want you leaving."

"I heard that the festivities were delayed but continuing in the fort. I expect to properly congratulate James," she said simply.

"Oh, of course," Elizabeth smirked. Then she innocently twirled a strand of dark blonde hair around her finger. "I am curious. What would you have said?"

"What do you mean?" Nerissa asked, happy to be done with the wet underdress finally.

"What else could I mean?" she scoffed. "What would you have said to Commodore Norrington had you not embarrassed yourself by fainting and falling to your potential death?"

"It was not embarrassing," she muttered.

Elizabeth smirked. "It was a little bit."

Nerissa just rolled her eyes. "Shut your mouth. And besides, what do you mean say to him? I don't even know what he was saying. Too focused on not passing out."

"Which you failed at doing," Elizabeth needlessly reminded her. Then she sat up. "Nerissa, he was proposing to you."

Nerissa turned sharply to look at her, her eyes wide. "He was not." Then she hesitated, unable to fight the barely-there smile on her lips. "Was he?"

"Please, he and Father have been planning it for weeks, I fear. Father is dreadful at keeping secrets," she told her. "So, what would you have said?"

Coming out from behind the partition, Nerissa couldn't even try to hide the smile on her face. "He really wants to marry me?"

"How could he not, Miss?" Muriel asked kindly while braiding Nerissa's hair back. "You have become a wonderful young woman."