14 | FORGET

[ SMUT WARNING ]

✵︎

I'LL MAKE YOU FORGET.

FOR THE SECOND TIME IN HER LIFE, Nerissa was drunk

FOR THE SECOND TIME IN HER LIFE, Nerissa was drunk. Gibbs had kindly offered the first mate quarters to her so that she would have somewhere comfortable to sleep. And when she closed her eyes, all she could see was James.

James who promised to come back to her for all her life. She could hear his voice so clearly, feel his touch on her skin, picture a life with him, living in a cottage by the sea with Nash at their side. That was a future she'd never have now.

So, she'd found Gibbs' secret stash of rum that he'd been hiding from the rest of the crew and broke it open. She sat on the bed, looking out the window as they got closer and closer to Tortuga, drinking her sorrows away while she cried.

How was she not out of tears yet?

That was how Jack found her, clutching a bottle to her chest as she looked at the sea. Her face was splotchy and she'd given up trying to wipe her cheeks clean a long time ago.

"I must say, day drunk is not a good look on you, love," Jack said, leaning against the door. "Though still much a better view than anyone on the deck."

Nerissa sniffed and looked at him flatly before holding out the bottle, silently asking if he wanted to join her. And of course, ever the alcoholic, he did. He took the bottle and swallowed a large mouthful before sitting on the bed with her.

"Don't tell me you're crying for William," he said, shaking his head. "We'll get him back. I promise you that, and I don't make many promises in my line of work."

"I know we'll get him back. We have to," she said softly. Then she smiled sadly. "I was just thinking of James. And how I wish I could just not think of him. Maybe Davy Jones had the right idea about life."

"That might be a bit extreme," he laughed before realizing how serious she was being despite how drunk she was. "Hey, come on. It'll get easier. Something will make you forget. You'll move on one day."

"I don't want to wait. I want to forget now," she said, leaning her head on Jack's shoulder. "His face, his touch, his lips. All of it."

Then slowly, she turned her head and looked up at him with wide, innocent eyes. "You could make me forget."

Jack shook his head, hating himself for doing so. "You don't mean that."

"I do," she said, holding the fabric of his shirt. "I wouldn't let just anyone be my first kiss, Song Bird."

"You'll regret it, love. Just like you regretted the kiss," he reminded her, being considerate for once in his life. "When you're sober and back home in Port Royal, you'll be furious at yourself for even asking such a thing."