8 | A LONG STORY

I KNEW I'D FIND YOU.

NERISSA'S HEAD WAS POUNDING WHEN SHE WOKE UP

NERISSA'S HEAD WAS POUNDING WHEN SHE WOKE UP. She shifted on the uncomfortable sand only to find an arm around her waist, keeping her pulled into a chest. After peeking an eye open, she saw that it was Jack who was holding her so close, and she couldn't help but groan.

Then she heard a snicker, so she turned her head, finally spotting her cousin.

Elizabeth was tending to a massive fire that was made of rum and all the leaves from the palm trees. No doubt, someone from the Navy would spot it. But Elizabeth was more amused with Nerissa's predicament.

"Get him off me," Nerissa whisper-shouted while trying to pry Jack's strong arms off her.

"Absolutely not. You got yourself into that mess," Elizabeth said.

Nerissa gaped at her. "You told me to get him drunk!"

"I didn't tell you to let him kiss you!" she snapped, sending her a disapproving look.

In an instant, guilt and regret washed over Nerissa as she recalled the kiss. She thought it was a nice kiss, not that she had a lot to base it on. But it was wrong as Jack wasn't someone she had feelings for.

Was he?

Sure, Nerissa thought as she looked back at his calm, sleeping face, she knew she was attracted to the man. And he made her laugh and feel protected. But she'd been in love with James since she was sixteen years old, and it was horrible for her to let another man kiss her knowing that James wanted to propose.

Tears welled in her eyes, and the longer Elizabeth watched her, the more she felt sympathy. Soon, her cousin came over there and helped Nerissa slip out of Jack's hold without waking him.

"I shouldn't have said that. You were drunk," Elizabeth said softly, hugging a crying Nerissa. "He took advantage of you."

"No, he didn't. That's the worst part," she said, shaking her head miserably.

"James will never find out," she assured her, knowing where Nerissa's mind was going. "Don't you worry about him."

After a moment, Nerissa sniffed and nodded, pulling back. "Alright, what else can we add to the fire?"

Fifteen minutes later, Jack finally found it in himself to wake up. The smell of the smoke roused him, it now overwhelming. He groaned as he sat up, feeling the hangover. The he turned and saw all the casks from the pit on fire, the smoke rising high into the clear blue sky.

Jack leapt to his feet, watching in horror as the girls tossed another keg onto the fire. There was a small explosion, and Nerissa grabbed Elizabeth and ducked. Then they continued on, getting rid of the rest of the alcohol.

"No! Not good! Stop! Not good!" Jack shouted, beginning to panic. "What are you doing? You've burned all the food, the shade — the rum!"

"Yes, the rum is gone," Elizabeth said definitively while wiping her hands.