Opportunity comes once

You were born poor, a fact as inescapable as the sun's relentless glare on the dusty streets of Lusaka. Abandoned by relatives who saw you as a burden, a mouth to feed in a city already overflowing with hungry souls, you learned to navigate the harsh realities of life early. You learned to sleep with an empty stomach, to scavenge for scraps in overflowing bins, to be invisible, to be quiet.

The lottery house, a gaudy, neon-lit beacon in the otherwise bleak landscape, was a siren call to your desperate hope. You watched people, faces etched with the same desperation, clutching their tickets like talismans, their eyes gleaming with a fleeting flicker of possibility. You, too, yearned for that possibility. The promise of a million dollars, a life beyond the crushing weight of poverty, felt like a lifeline thrown to a drowning man.

One day, you found yourself with a few coins, enough for a lottery ticket. You held it in your trembling hand, the paper thin and flimsy, yet it felt heavy, carrying the weight of your dreams. You chose your numbers, not with any particular strategy, but with a desperate hope that they would somehow mirror your yearning.

The days stretched on, a monotonous routine of begging, scavenging, and surviving. You clung to the ticket, a beacon in the darkness, but the hope that had initially burned bright began to flicker and fade. Then, one day, a newsstand owner, a kind-hearted woman who often gave you a scrap of bread, called out your name. You rushed over, heart pounding, to find her holding a newspaper with a picture of a winning ticket. Your ticket. Your numbers. A million dollars.

The news hit you like a tidal wave, overwhelming, exhilarating, terrifying. You didn't know how to handle such a sum, how to navigate a world suddenly opened by this stroke of luck. You were a fish thrown out of water, gasping for air in an unfamiliar environment.

The money came, a mountain of bills, and you spent it as fast as it arrived. You immersed yourself in the fleeting pleasures of your newfound wealth. You drank, you partied, you indulged in the sweet taste of revenge on the relatives who had abandoned you. You were surrounded by women, their laughter echoing your own hollow joy, their eyes reflecting the same fleeting excitement that you felt.

But the money, like a desert mirage, evaporated as quickly as it came. You spent it on fleeting indulgences, on hollow promises that couldn't fill the void within. You surrounded yourself with people who only saw the glitter of your wealth, not the emptiness underneath. When the money was gone, so were they, leaving you stranded on the shores of a vast, empty ocean.

Now, you stand on the corner, your hand outstretched, your eyes downcast. You're back where you started, a forgotten shadow in the bustling streets of Lusaka. You've lost everything, even the hope of a life beyond poverty. The lottery house, a cruel reminder of your folly, stands across the street, its neon lights casting a hollow, mocking glow. You look at your reflection in the dusty window, a man aged beyond his years, his eyes filled with a quiet despair that echoes the harsh reality of your situation.

You realize now that the lottery wasn't a chance at a new life, it was a chance to indulge in your worst instincts. The million dollars didn't change you, it only magnified your flaws. It was a momentary escape from the harsh realities of poverty, a fleeting dream that ended in a painful awakening.

You are back to square one, but with a newfound understanding. You've learned the hard way that true wealth isn't measured in dollars, but in the strength to rise above your circumstances. You may be back on the street, but this time, you're not alone. You have the knowledge, the scars, the wisdom from a harsh lesson learned. You are ready to rebuild, to face the challenges of tomorrow, not with the naive optimism of a lottery winner, but with the hardened resolve of a survivor.