Keep your advise

The humid air of Lusaka hangs thick in the cramped space of your small apartment, clinging to you like a second skin. You are perched on the edge of the sofa, a crumpled tissue nestled in your palm, the remnants of your own frustrated tears. It's been a week since the fight, a week of silence, of strained phone calls, of the echoing emptiness in your heart.

You've spent the week listening to your friends, their advice echoing around your head like a broken record. 'She's manipulative,' they'd say, their voices laced with concern. 'She's playing you,' they'd whisper, their eyes holding a mixture of pity and judgement.

You know they are right. You've seen the signs, felt the sting of her calculated words, the way her tears always seemed to conveniently shift the blame. Yet, you find yourself trapped in the quicksand of her apology, its sugary sweetness masking the bitter truth.

The insistent buzz of your phone pulls you back from the whirlpool of your thoughts. It's her, the name flashing on the screen, a silent promise of reconciliation. You swallow the knot of apprehension in your throat, your fingers trembling as you answer.

'I'm sorry,' she says, her voice soft, laced with a hint of that familiar vulnerability that has always ensnared you. 'I know I messed up. I was being selfish, I wasn't thinking straight.'

You feel a pang of sympathy, the memory of her tears, the pained expression etched on her face, flooding back. You want to believe her, to hold her close and tell her it's alright. But the voices of your friends, the echoes of their warnings, are too loud, too real.

'Listen, I need to talk about this,' you say, your voice betraying the tremor in your hands. 'I need you to really listen.'

You explain your concerns, the things your friends have told you, the patterns you have noticed. You pour your heart out, hoping for a change, hoping for a chance to finally see the woman behind the mask of manipulation.

But as you speak, the familiar pang of guilt settles in. You feel the weight of betrayal, the awareness that you're sharing the words of others, not your own. You are a conduit, relaying messages of doubt, of suspicion, rather than expressing your own.

She listens, her face a mixture of surprise and hurt. The room feels heavy, the air charged with unspoken tension.

'I'm so sorry you feel this way,' she finally says, her voice strained, a hint of defensiveness creeping in. 'I'm sorry I made you feel like this.'

You feel the anger rising, a hot ember burning in your chest. You want to scream, to shout at her, to tell her how her words ring hollow, how you feel used, manipulated. But the voice of your own fear whispers in your ear, reminding you of the familiar comfort of her tears, the allure of her promises.

'It's okay,' you say, your voice weaker than you intended. 'I just wanted you to understand.'

You can tell she's relieved, the tension in the room easing, replaced by a tentative warmth. You realize you've fallen into the same trap, the same cyclical dance of forgiveness and hurt. You know you've betrayed yourself, your own intuition, your own need for honesty.

But as you hang up the phone, the feeling of relief washes over you, a bittersweet acceptance of your own weakness. You know, deep down, that nothing has changed. The same patterns will repeat, the same cycle of conflict and reconciliation will continue.

You look at your reflection in the dusty window, your own eyes mirroring the despair in your heart. You know you have to choose, to break the cycle, to find your own voice, even if it means walking away from the sweet poison of her apology. But for now, the ghost of her words, the whisper of her tears, lingers in the humid air of Lusaka, a haunting reminder of the love that binds you, even as it suffocates you.