Don't be ungrateful

The smell of roasted maize hung heavy in the air, mingling with the exhaust fumes of the minibuses that choked the streets of Lusaka. You were sitting on a plastic stool outside the bustling market, a cold Castle Lite sweating in your hand. The sun beat down relentlessly, mirroring the heat in your chest. It had been a good day, a really good day, but the satisfaction was marred by a nagging unease. It felt like a shadow lurking at the edge of your happiness.

It all started with a casual conversation over a plate of nshima. James, your friend, had been bursting with excitement about his new venture: importing second-hand clothes from Dubai. He even shared his contacts, his tricks, his entire strategy, laid bare for you like a treasure map. You listened intently, your mind whirling with possibilities.

The thought of competing with him, of being your own boss, had never crossed your mind. But the seed of ambition was planted. You knew you could do it better, faster, with more flair. James's enthusiasm, his open-hearted generosity, turned into a fuel for your ambition. You saw the opportunity, the chance to rise above your current struggles.

You took James's contacts, his trusted supplier, his hard-earned connections, and used them to build your own business. You worked tirelessly, day and night, fueled by a hunger that bordered on obsession. You learned the tricks of the trade, the art of negotiation, the power of a well-placed bribe. You were a whirlwind of energy, your success fueled by a ruthless ambition.

But your success came at a cost. You started laundering your money, using the market as a front. You knew it was wrong, a betrayal of your friend, but the lure of wealth, the taste of victory, was intoxicating. You convinced yourself, justified your actions, telling yourself it was just a shortcut, a necessary evil.

Then came the day the bubble burst. You were sitting in your office, surrounded by stacks of imported clothes, counting your profits, when James walked in. He looked tired, his eyes filled with a pain you had never seen before. His voice, usually so lively, was flat and emotionless as he told you he knew. He knew about your betrayal, about the dirty money, about your greed.

'You took everything from me,' he said, his voice shaking. 'My contacts, my supplier, my trust. All for your own selfish gains.'

You tried to explain, to justify, but the words died in your throat. You saw the light die in his eyes, the trust replaced by a cold, sharp anger. He walked out of your office without a word, leaving you to face the consequences of your actions.

The next day, your world crumbled. The supplier ceased all contact. Your contacts, scared of the repercussions, severed ties. The market, once a bustling hub of your enterprise, became a silent witness to your downfall. Your carefully built empire, the fruit of your betrayal, lay in ruins, a cruel reflection of your ambition.

You sat on the plastic stool, the familiar smell of roasted maize a bitter reminder of your lost innocence. You had sacrificed your friendship, your integrity, for a fleeting taste of success. Now, all you had left was the emptiness of your betrayal. The shadow that had lurked at the edge of your happiness had swallowed you whole, leaving you alone with the bitter taste of regret.