Pay your own bill

The air in the dimly lit restaurant was thick with the scent of roasted meat and simmering spices. Exotic aromas mingled with the excited chatter of your girlfriend and her...friends. Eighteen of them, to be precise. You had expected a romantic dinner, candles, maybe a live band, just you and your beloved. Instead, you were drowning in a sea of unfamiliar faces, all of them ravenous and ready to celebrate your girlfriend's birthday.

It felt like a scene from a nightmare. You sat there, your smile strained, watching as they devoured the expensive delicacies you had chosen with such care. Every time you tried to steal a moment with your girlfriend, your conversation was interrupted by a boisterous laugh, a shared story, or a request for more wine.

The moment of truth arrived with the bill. The waiter, eyes wide, presented a hefty document, the total a dizzying amount. You stared at it, your stomach twisting. You had budgeted for a romantic dinner, not a feast for a small army. Your girlfriend looked at you, a flicker of expectation in her eyes.

'Oh, honey, you don't have to worry,' she said, her voice laced with false confidence. 'We can split it among all of us.'

You hoped for a moment she was serious. You could count on the fingers of one hand the times she had offered to split a bill, even for a simple coffee. You took a deep breath, trying to maintain your composure.

'I'm sorry, sweetheart, but I only invited you,' you said, your voice unwavering but strained. 'These...gentlemen and ladies are your friends, and I don't know them.'

Silence descended upon the table. The festive mood, as palpable as the aroma of the sizzling meats, dissipated. The air grew thick with tension, the laughter replaced by the clinking of silverware against plates. Your girlfriend's face turned pale, then flushed with anger.

'What do you mean you don't know them?' she hissed, her voice sharp and accusatory. 'They're my friends! You've met them before.'

'I've met some of them,' you corrected gently, 'but this...this gathering, this was for your birthday. I didn't know about this whole...party.'

The anger in her eyes intensified. 'Are you trying to humiliate me?' she spat, her voice rising above the murmurs of her friends. 'I invited them because I wanted to share my special day with them, and now you're calling them...strangers?'

You felt the pressure welling up inside you. You desperately wanted to avoid a scene, to preserve the birthday girl's face, but it was too late. The dam had broken.

'Sweetheart,' you began, trying to reason with her, 'I'm not trying to humiliate you. It's just… I didn't expect this. You know I don't have… a lot of money.'

'So, you're saying you're too cheap to pay for your girlfriend's friends?' a voice, sharp and mocking, cut through the air. The speaker, a tall blonde woman with a piercing gaze, leaned forward, her face inches away from yours.

'I'm not cheap,' you said, your voice strained, 'I just didn't know about this, and I didn't agree to pay for this…group. We can discuss this afterward, sweetheart.'

The blonde woman snorted, her gaze unwavering. 'Afterward? Honey, they're not going to wait for you to 'discuss' this. They'll be asking for their share right now.'

You looked at your girlfriend, trying to catch her eye, hoping she would understand, hoping she would see you were not trying to cause a scene, not trying to hurt her. But her eyes were narrowed, her lips tight. She was not looking at you. She was looking at her friends, each one of them a silent judge, their expectations a heavy weight on your soul.

You knew then, with a sinking certainty, that this was not just about a dinner bill. This was a power play. You were being tested, pushed, and ultimately, rejected.

You took a deep breath, your resolve hardening. You looked at the bill, then at your girlfriend, her back now turned to you, a silent dismissal. 'I'll pay for my meal, and I'll pay for hers,' you said, your voice firm but strained. 'You can…work out the rest among yourselves.'

You reached for your wallet, your hand shaking slightly. You could hear the whispers of the others, the murmurs of disappointment, the simmering anger. As you handed the waiter your card, you felt a deep sense of betrayal, a crushing weight of loneliness, and a creeping realization – perhaps this wasn't the relationship you thought it was.

You walked out of the restaurant, the heavy air of the Zambian evening pressing down on your shoulders, and a hollow ache in your heart. The exotic aromas that had once promised a romantic evening now smelled of betrayal, the sizzling meats now a symbol of broken promises. You had lost more than just a dinner; you had lost a part of yourself.