Be very careful

The humid air of Lusaka presses down on you, heavy and stifling. You're in the courtroom, a small, cramped space with peeling paint and a flickering fluorescent light that buzzes with an irritating hum. You're here for the trial – your trial – though you're not the one on trial in the legal sense. The accused, your sisters, Esther and Charity, sit on the other side of the room, their faces a mask of righteous indignation.

You remember a time when you were all close, sharing secrets and dreams in the cramped confines of your childhood home. Now, the air between you crackles with unspoken accusations, the scent of animosity a constant presence. The court proceedings are a public airing of your family's dirty laundry, a painful spectacle you are forced to witness.

The accusations are harsh, each one a venomous dart aimed at your heart. Esther, her voice trembling with manufactured outrage, claims you've been jealous of her children's success, whispering curses and casting spells. Charity, her eyes narrowed into slits, talks about your 'evil spirit,' accusing you of orchestrating their premature deaths. It is all fabricated, each word a carefully crafted lie designed to paint you as the villain in their personal tragedy.

You sit there, a silent observer, your heart a heavy stone in your chest. You know the truth, a truth as dark and suffocating as the shadows creeping around the edges of the courtroom. It's a truth that has eaten at you, a bitter pill you swallowed whole years ago, hoping it would eventually dissolve.

The initial shock of the accusations, the raw pain of betrayal, has settled into a cold, numb acceptance. You're not surprised by the allegations. In a twisted way, you've been expecting them. You know the truth, and you know that the truth is a poison that will ultimately destroy them all.

The judge, a stern-faced woman with a voice that carries the weight of authority, calls for a recess. You stand up, your legs wobbly, the room spinning slightly. You need to escape the suffocating weight of the courtroom, the accusing eyes, the whispers of judgement that seem to follow you like a shadow.

You walk out into the hallway, the heavy air providing a brief respite. You lean against the wall, your eyes closing as memories flood your mind.

The deaths, initially blamed on a sudden epidemic, were a harsh and brutal reality. However, you never believed it. The fear and guilt, the unspoken truth, had festered in your heart, slowly corroding your soul.

It all began with envy, a green-eyed monster that consumed your thoughts. You watched your sisters flourish, their children achieving things you couldn't. The resentment had simmered, transforming into a poisonous cocktail of bitterness and resentment.

The opportunity presented itself, a chance to level the playing field. Your actions, initially fueled by bitterness, were a descent into a dark abyss, a journey from which there was no turning back. The consequences, however, were not the retribution you had anticipated.

The guilt, a relentless, gnawing presence, had slowly eroded your spirit, leaving behind a hollow shell. The pain of their loss, a constant ache in your heart, was a constant reminder of your transgression. You had become a prisoner of your own making, trapped in a cage of guilt and self-loathing.

The recess is over. You walk back into the courtroom, the weight of your secret pressing down on you. You know the truth, and you know that the truth will ultimately destroy them, and the truth will ultimately destroy you.

The judge calls for the next witness. Esther, her face contorted in anger, takes the stand. You watch as she weaves her tale of betrayal, her words a venomous serpent slithering its way towards your heart. You know you can't speak, not yet.

The truth will out, but the truth comes at a price. You know that the price is not only your own soul, but the very fabric of your family, a price you may pay for the rest of your life.