Let your wife work if she wants to

The stifling heat of Lusaka clung to you like a second skin. It was a city where dreams were chased with the ferocity of a starved lion, where ambition mingled with the dust kicked up by the passing minibuses. You had tasted the sweetness of success in the bustling world of accounting, your career flourishing like the jacaranda trees that lined the streets. But now, the air inside your small flat felt thick with regret, the scent of your unfulfilled dreams swirling around you like the dust motes dancing in the afternoon sun.

Four years ago, your life had felt like a song, a rhythm of joy and promise, played out with your beloved, a kindhearted primary school teacher named Chileshe. He was a man of gentle smiles and warm eyes, someone who made you believe in forever in the chaotic symphony of life in Lusaka. Then came the pregnancy, a joyous surprise that felt like the final note of your love story.

But then the melody changed. Chileshe's gentle smile became strained, his eyes clouded with a fear you couldn't comprehend. He confessed his insecurity, his discomfort with your success, the weight of a societal expectation that a man must be the provider. Marriage, he said, was only possible if you relinquished your career.

The ultimatum had come like a sudden storm, leaving you adrift in a sea of doubt. You feared losing him, your heart echoing with the echo of societal whispers: 'Men don't want women who earn more.' You were 29, close to 30, the ticking clock of societal expectations a constant hum in your ear. The thought of single motherhood in a city where even two incomes felt like a constant struggle was a terrifying abyss.

So, you surrendered. You handed in your resignation letter, a document that felt heavier than any ledger you had ever balanced. The joy of your pregnancy was overshadowed by a growing unease, a knot of self-doubt tightening in your chest. You were trapped in a cage built not by bars, but by the expectations and insecurities of a world that measured a woman's worth by her dependence.

Now, three years and a rambunctious toddler later, you felt the weight of your sacrifice. The monotony of being a stay-at-home mother was a stark contrast to the vibrant world of numbers you had once thrived in. Your mind, once sharp and nimble, felt dulled by the endless cycle of diaper changes, playground visits, and the echoing silence of your once buzzing ambition.

You had tried, countless times, to broach the subject of work, of starting a small business, a bakery perhaps, or a daycare center. But Chileshe would shut down the conversation, his smile turning strained, his eyes flickering with a discomfort that mirrored your own. He would say, 'We'll talk about it later,' a phrase that had become a hollow promise, a constant reminder of your stifled aspirations.

One afternoon, as you pushed the stroller down the dusty road towards the market, you saw a young woman, her face radiant with joy, selling brightly colored fabric flowers at a bustling street corner. She was laughing, her eyes sparkling with the confidence of someone who had found her own path. You envied her, her unburdened spirit, her freedom to chase her dreams even amidst the chaos of Lusaka.

The seed of resentment began to grow in your heart, a bitter weed nurtured by your unmet needs. You loved Chileshe, but the love was tainted with a bitter taste of sacrifice, the weight of your own silenced dreams.

As you turned onto your street, you saw the silhouette of Chileshe standing by the gate, his face bathed in the late afternoon sun. He was a man trapped by the same societal expectations that had imprisoned you both. The melody of your love story was a beautiful, sorrowful composition, a symphony of love and sacrifice, played out in the dust and heat of Lusaka, a city where dreams were as fragile as the jacaranda blossoms that fell to the ground, ephemeral and fleeting.