Chapter : 12

The Family Breakfast

Inside the Raizada Mansion

Within the opulent grandeur of the Raizada Mansion, the arrival of Anjali and her husband, Shyam, signaled the beginning of a day steeped in intrigue and hidden agendas. Anjali's joyful voice reverberated through the ornate halls as she called out to the family. Akash, accompanied by his father, Mohan Raizada, were the first to greet them. Soon after, Devyani Raizada, affectionately known as 'Nani,' appeared with her cherished pet goat, Laxmi. Emerging from the kitchen came Manorma Raizada, Anjali's Mami ji, her eyes already glinting with scrutiny. The family greeted Shyam warmly, pleased with his timely return.

Mohan Raizada, Anjali's Mama ji, quickly inquired about Shyam's trip and recent client details. Akash joined in, steering the conversation deeper into work-related topics. Not one to miss an opportunity for a jest, Manorma decided to lighten the mood.

"Oh, my Damad ji," she teased with a playful yet sharp tone, "how much our poor Anjali was missing you. It's good that this time you arrived in time, unlike other times. There's a lot that happened in your absence. You must be very surprised to get not one but two new sisters-in-law in one day. Talk about a 'buy one, get one free' scheme."

Shyam, ever the charmer, responded with a smile and a hint of sarcasm, "I know, I was very surprised. I somehow expected that from Akash, but our Arnav marrying is something akin to the great wonders of the world. So, I had to come meet my two lovely sisters-in-law before our ASR scared his wife away and Akash tried to get another one."

Laughter ensued, but the atmosphere remained tense. Anjali, sensing the need to steer the conversation, added, "Shyam ji has already met with Arnav and Khushi. They went out, probably for breakfast or something."

Nani, perplexed by this revelation, remarked, "I know, Anjali bitiya, there must be something important. Otherwise, Arnav, who was the first to support his brother Akash and Payal's marriage, wouldn't miss their first day of rasam. Just to be sure, I'll talk to Arnav and make sure he comes home early after work. Don't worry, Anjali bitiya, Arnav won't disagree with my words."

As if on cue, Laxmi, Nani's goat, let out a loud bleat, seemingly agreeing with her. The family shared a light laugh at the timing.

Anjali, tight-lipped and determined, replied, "Thank you, Nani. I would be very glad if they joined us soon. I was going to convince Chotte anyways. And Shyam ji, you must meet your other sister-in-law, Payal. I think she is still in the kitchen. Come, let me take you there."

As Anjali and Shyam headed towards the kitchen, the rest of the family moved towards the dining area for breakfast. Devyani, left alone for a moment, sighed deeply. Looking at her pet goat, she murmured, "This family is getting more and more complicated by the day. I hope Khushi can handle this family and help me keep it together, against all the odds." Laxmi, as if understanding, made another sympathetic sound.

At the Dining Table

The family settled at the dining table, ready for breakfast. However, as soon as they saw the dishes, Manorma's face twisted in disapproval. The food appeared inedible. With a stern look, Manorma demanded an explanation from Payal.

"Bhabhi, I know you put in extra effort today," Anjali joined in, "but this dish doesn't look healthy to consume."

Payal, a bit embarrassed yet seething with anger inside, replied with fake tears, "I have never cooked in my life. My parents wouldn't let me do the cooking. But I put my heart and soul into these dishes. I would be very glad if you could taste it a bit."

Manorma, not one to hold back, taunted, "No wonder your parents didn't let you near the kitchen, otherwise you would have burned the whole house down. Your family wouldn't be able to hire a cook for them, so the food was prepared by Khushi. No wonder you needed her help then."