26. Julia disappears

An unfinished bottle of Jack Daniels was left at the cemetery, and it made no sense to go back just for that. So, as soon as we returned to the apartment, I went to the bar. Even my sister, who usually avoided alcohol, was tempted by a glass of Chardonnay.

She drank it in one gulp and disappeared into the guest bedroom, while I enjoyed another serving in the silence, interrupted only by Victor's muffled voice through the closed doors as he made yet another phone call. I kicked off my uncomfortable high heels and, still in my red mini dress, sprawled out on the comfy couch, lazily sipping wine and trying not to think about anything, especially the owner of the golden curls.

I had just started my third glass of Chardonnay when my sister re-entered the living room, dressed in sports leggings and a sweatshirt with reflective stripes on the sleeves.

– Are you going out? – I asked over the rim of my glass.

– It's been too much excitement for one day – she replied, adjusting the laces of her shoes. – I'm going to run it off. Want to come with me?

I shook my head no, feeling heavy.

– I don't have the energy for anything – I mumbled. – I think I'll just go to sleep.

Julia nodded and gave me an understanding look, then headed to the hall.

In the back of my mind, I had something I wanted to tell her before the door closed behind her, but overwhelmed by the day's events, I couldn't remember what it was. My brain, fogged by the two and almost the third glass of wine, had entirely different plans, which certainly didn't include connecting the scattered thoughts in its corners.

I closed my eyes and slowly began to fall asleep, but before I fully drifted into the land of dreams, I felt someone sit on the edge of the couch.

Victor's hand gently touched my face and brushed a strand of hair away. I lazily opened my eyes and blinked a few times to focus. I shifted slightly to let my love slip between me and the sofa's backrest, allowing his strong arm to envelop me.

– I talked to that lawyer from the funeral – he said.

He didn't say anything else, so I looked up at him tiredly. He was looking at me cautiously, as if he was afraid that if he was too bold, I would turn him into stone like a basilisk.

And he was right, because if I could, I would wipe that know-it-all errand boy of my finally deceased father off the face of the earth so he would leave me and my sister alone, just as his boss had already done. Who was he to tell me or Julia what we should do after Daddy's death? No one knew him as well as we did, and no one understood better that this fortune should disappear with him to at least partly atone for the human suffering it was built on.

– Why? – I snapped in an unpleasant tone.

Victor sighed silently, and it was clear he was thinking intensely about what to say to avoid setting me off.

– You can hate your father – he began in a tone as if explaining to a child that there were no monsters in the closet – but it would be a shame for the fortune to go to waste. I found out as much as I could because the details will only be shared with you and your sister, but from what Rosenberger said, you and Julia have a substantial amount to split.

This time I sighed quietly and barely stopped myself from rolling my eyes. How he didn't understand me!

– Money isn't the most important thing in the world – I stated matter-of-factly. – I don't need the fortune of a man who terrorized his family and who knows how many other people. Especially women – I emphasized, then ostentatiously disentangled myself from his embrace, got up from the couch, and walked towards the nearest window.