iii. back to the games

As Natalie opened her eyes, she stared up at the night sky. She could almost forget that she was stuck in the seventieth fourth hunger games alongside her brother. Everything was silent, and while the silence should've terrified her, it made her calm. She glanced at her brother who was sound asleep, the fire keeping both of the Mellark twins warm.

Sleep was something that should've come easier to her knowing that her brother was somewhat safe with Cato being on the first watch but instead she was wide awake. She didn't know that to make of the newfound alliance between the three of them. Her plan of action was to always seduce Cato and be the one to kill him. It was what her and Haymitch had agreed upon. She can almost hear him screaming in her mind, but he wasn't here and the more time that she was forced to spend with Cato, she found it harder to remember the plan she had set to achieve.

Sitting up on the ground, she saw Cato sharpening his sword on the opposite site of the fire. She originally thought that creating a fire was stupid and was inciting people to come and kill them. But Cato was lethal. A bloodthirsty tribute crafted to perfection by the Captiol and District 2. His fellow tribute from District 2, Clove, his one and only true match in skill and combat hadn't even bothered to approach. Maybe exhaustion had weighed on her and the other surviving tributes, leaving Natalie and Cato the only tributes awake. She should be grateful to have a Career tribute on her side, but she was always on edge. He could be ready to strike at any moment, and Natalie should be more prepared. Strike him before he had the chance to kill her but it was the second night that they had spend together and she hadn't found the courage to kill him just yet. Maybe she just secretly hoped that infection would be take him out instead. At least then, she wouldn't have to ruin such a pretty face.

"I can feel you staring, princess." Cato said, glancing in her direction. Heat warmed her face, her cheeks turning red before she looked away and looked back at the night sky.

"I'm thinking of ways to kill you, that's all." Natalie replied.

"If you wanted me dead, you would've done it by now." He stated.

Natalie shrugged absentmindedly. "Who says? Maybe I just want to a pretty face to lick all my wounds."

"Pretty, huh? That sounds awfully like a compliment, princess." Cato smirked, raising an eyebrow at her.

The blush on her cheeks deepened underneath the moonlight, thankfully that it was too dark fro him to be able to see her. "Well someone has to lie about your appearance before you die and I don't see anyone else around. I think they all ran away upon seeing your face."

"Yet you stayed, especially as you claim to hate me."

"I can hate you but still appreciate all that muscle."

Cato laughed, shaking his head before putting his sword down and made his way to her, sitting down beside her. He pulled out some game out of his pocket and handed it to her. "You have it. You need to eat more, I can hear your stomach growling from the other side of the fire." Natalie hesitated at first before taking the game and took a bite of the food. The pair sat in silence as she ate, occasionally bumping their legs against the other's, small smiles on both of their faces. If they met under any other circumstances, they could've been friends. Natalie would've taken Cato to meet her friends and he would join them in the woods until one day they realised their feelings for the other and their friendship blossomed into something more. But that was a fantasy, and the games was the reality. Instead they were forced to become enemies and fight each other for survival until one remained a victor.

Natalie sighed and wrapped her arms around herself, shivering at the cool air. Cato took off his jacket and wrapped it around her, not caring about the colder weather. Natalie glanced at him, whispering. "What was that for?"