17. The Smiths

TW: Slight mention of past SH

-

"I don't... I don't think she's human, Sam..."

"See and that makes me wonder," Sam said, "Meg is likely something paranormal. Vinnie knows things, Dean."

Dean nodded with his mouth in a tight, flat line.

"Alright, you two go off and see if there is a record of someone by the name of 'Meg Masters' in Massachusetts and look into that symbol I found, see if it has any meaning."

"While you do what?" Dean asked, crossing his arms.

"I'm gonna keep an eye on Meg." He replied, gaining small laughter from Dean, who apparently thought Sam had a thing for Meg.

"Shut up, Dean. Let's just go." Vinnie said, sick of Dean's behavior and the off-putting feelings emitting from the building Meg was in.

Dean rolled his eyes and followed Vinnie over to the Impala, getting in the driver's seat while Vinnie got in the passenger's seat.

Then he started up the car and took off.

-

"Finally sitting back up here with me?" He said, glancing her way. She shrugged, "Yeah.. whatever."

Moth was up on the dashboard, napping as usual. Dean glanced Vinnie's way once more, "Wanna listen to some tunes?"

"Some tunes? What are you, 50?" Vinnie chuckled to herself. Dean responded with mock-laughter before turning on the stereo.

Almost immediately, Back To The Old House by The Smiths started to blast through the speakers.

Dean quickly turned the sound down before switching the station right after.

Vinnie's brows furrowed before she turned to him, "I love The Smiths." She murmured.

"What?" He said, looking at her in confusion.

"I love The Smiths." She repeated, locking eyes with him for a split second before he switched the station back to what it was.

The song resumed playing, now gently through the speakers. "There's too many.. bad memories... Too many memories there..."

Before Dean knew it he heard a sniffle coming from his right and looked over to see a very tearful Vinnie.

"Shit, are you okay?" He asked, quickly pulling over on the heavily wooded highway.

The soft instrumentals and vocals of the song pulled at her heart. "When you cycled by, here began all my dreams... The saddest thing I've ever seen..."

Vinnie nodded, smiling sadly and wiping her eyes. "Yeah, I am... It's just... This song is so..." She went quiet as the song went on. "And you never knew... how much I really liked you... 'Cause I never even told you, oh and I meant too..."

It was after that line finished that she burst out sobbing. Vinnie used her sleeve to wipe her nose. Her sleeve dangled off her wrist, revealing the very harsh reality of what she had done to cope all those years ago... "I really missed you... and there are so many things I want to tell you... So many things that happened while you were gone, all the things I did... And I can't--"

Before she could say anything else, Dean leaned over and kissed her. He kissed her long and hard, taking away that weight that had held her heart down for so long.

It was all too much, all the time she'd spent together as kids and as teens, being reunited, the subtle hints that had gone over his head, the clues Sam dropped for him, the pain on her face when she saw him and Cassie, seeing her cry over a song that hit too close to home, the scars...

His hands cupped her face, holding her there for longer. When he finally pulled away, Vinnie let out a soft gasp. Her teary eyes were wide and her brows were raised.

Her hand reached up to her lips, gently touching them.

Dean's eyebrows were furrowed now, he looked as if he was about to break down in tears, just as she had.

Vinnie was finally able to piece together a few words, "Why did you--"

He held her face in his hands, "I love you, Vinnie... So fucking much. I always have and I know I always will. I never knew you saw me that way, because I was a fucking idiot. I never paid attention to anything but myself and I'm sorry..."

Vinnie let out a shaky breath, "You... Love me...?"

He nodded, desperately. "I've been denying it for so long... I couldn't even tell you why. Since we reconnected I've been ignoring the fact that you do too, because I didn't think it was true... I didn't think that I..."

"That you what...?" Vinnie mumbled, searching his face for an answer only to find nothing.

He shook his head and pulled her into a hug, "I'm so sorry..." When he pulled away, he grabbed her arm and rolled back her sleeve. Vinnie looked ashamed, like a dog who'd just destroyed its owner's shoes.

Dean looked up from Vinnie's arm and locked eyes with her. "You promise me... You won't ever do this again..."

Vinnie said nothing, just looked at him with tear-flooded eyes.

"Promise me!" He said, sternly.

She nodded, "I won't... I promise."

Dean believed her and pulled her against his chest once more, he kissed her cheek.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, gaining a shiver from him. He pulled away, looking over her features before wiping the tears from her rosy, round cheeks.

"I love you..." He said, softly. Vinnie smiled weakly and leaned in, pressing her forehead against his.

"I love you too..."