19: Tangled Up ‪‪❤︎

Chapter 19 is a smut chapter, so if anyone does not like smut I would advise skipping!

~

It'd been in the middle of night as you wake, no later than four am with messed up sheets tangling your figure as your hand reaches over to the right side of the bed, feeling nothing there as your eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Yet with the sounds of bomb explosions coming from outside the room's window, you knew. You sat up as you draped the covers over your chest, turning your attention to Egan who was sitting in the chair closest to the window. The one that had the perfect view to the outside world, the snap back to the true meaning of all of this.

The eyes of his kept their attention ahead as he watched each bomb blow what it planned to kill to bits, what it was intended for. A tilt of his head when he looks down, unable to bear the sight of seeing them light up the night sky. "Never been on the business end of a bomb before."

All you could do was frown. Business was a different way of calling it. Calling what you used to kill others. "Business. Funny word for death."

An exasperated huff leaves his lips as he looks towards you, realizing how much being the one to drop those killing machines had an impact on you. No one could escape what they were made to do, even if they wished for change. "We dropped a lot of those things, probably did a lot of killing.. Hell of a job."

And he was right. No matter how hard you tried to deny it. It was one hell of a job. Hell for you to carry the guilt that weighed on your shoulders, heavily over you like a void hoping to swallow you up whole. But you knew that the Germans deserved this after all the shit they pulled on you. "The Germans deserve every last one of our bombs. You know this."

His own eyebrows would only furrow from your comment as if his own thoughts were blindsiding him, the guilt eating away at his heart. "Is that what you believe?" All you could give was a short, simple answer. One that you believed in from the start. "Yes."

Confliction crosses over his face for a split second before the expression turns back to his blank one, glancing back down. "If there's any balance to all of this, my ticket was punched a long long time ago."

The ticket of yours had been punched too. Beaten to a pulp, burned up in flames to only leave ashes behind. There's never really a balance in this world, the choices you make going to one side or the other. Even when your choices saved lives, it still ruined others. "There's never a balance. The worst always come out unscathed while the innocents suffer."

It fell silent as he stared back at the window, the sight being so much that one couldn't just look away knowing they were the cause of it once. Still are. Your eyes lower to the bedsheets with a sigh as you wrap the covers around your fist before relaxing, letting go of the sheets that kept your figure hidden as they fell to the floor.