Chapter 12

Two weeks had passed since Ella last saw Dallas. While she had been busy at the Nashville Veterinary Hospital, he and the band were preparing for their upcoming concert in Charlotte, North Carolina. Ella had planned to surprise him Saturday night before the band's performance.

Ella flipped through a golden retriever's records, "Lola now has all of her shots Mr. Dennis."

The old man smiled warmly, "Thank you, Ms. Cross."

She handed Lola's leash to the man. Lola yelped with excitement as they left. Ella sat down the paperwork, pivoting toward the other vet, "I swear Sarah, Lola is such a sweetheart. I want her for myself."

Sarah glanced up, her brown eyes growing warm, "That she is."

Sarah Anderson started out at the same time as Ella. She was the quiet type who kept to herself. She gave little information about her private life. Ella only knew she was from Florida and that she had an older sister named Gracen .

"Dr. Cross?" Ella turned to see the young intern standing with a leash in hand, "Mrs. Scott requested that you be Colby's vet today."

"Okay, send him back Katie."

Mrs. Scott was a sweet old woman, with the brightest brown eyes, and was highly talkative for her age. Ella smiled warmly as she took the beagle's leash, "How are you today Colby?"

The petite dog whined, turning to his owner. Ella scooped Colby into her arms, taking him into the exam room. Mrs. Scott shuffled behind her, shutting the door, and plopped into a seat. Ella prepared the X-ray, as Colby continued to whimper. "Okay, Mrs. Scott, I see you have stated that Colby here can't keep anything down."

"That's right." the woman said.

Just then Colby hacked all over the exam table. In her mind, Ella rolled her eyes, "I'm going to set you down buddy and clean up this mess."

                                                                                             ***

Ella scurried around her room, searching for her favorite dress. She smiled as she opened her closet door and found it hanging up. It was a short baby blue dress, sprinkled gently with sparkles. She grabbed a pair of silver heels hoping to not break her neck in them. She tossed her makeup into her makeup bag, nearly tripping over air.

"Ella, what is going on here?" Esteé asked bewildered.

"Packing?" She grinned sheepishly.

Her deep green eyes fixated on Ella, "We still have three days to pack, and you are acting like we are leaving in 5 minutes."

"Doesn't hurt to pack now." She shrugged.

"That is true, but I know you will need half of this for tomorrow." She folded her arms.

Ella sat on the ground in a slump, "Esteé, I swore to myself to never grow attached to Dallas again and yet here I am."

"I don't know what to tell you, Elle. You've been in love with him for half of your life."

Ella unpacked her suitcase as her phone rang, "Hello?"

"Hey, Ella, it's been a while!."

"Skyler! It's been a hot minute."

"That it has." Her friend said.

"How's the wedding planning going?"

"It's going great, except Zara doesn't want to wear a dress. She keeps insisting she wears a suit." Skyler grumbled.