Angel 12

Lavender White sat cross-legged on her bed, staring at the ceiling. The thin walls of her room in the Fire and Ice camp didn't do much to drown out the muffled conversations and occasional bursts of laughter from the other troubled youth. She knew today was important. It was the day they got their test results back, and even though she'd tried to play it cool, she couldn't help but feel a flutter of anxiety.

The intercom crackled to life, and Logan Carter's voice boomed through the camp. "Attention, everyone. Test results will be handed out in the main hall in five minutes. Be there on time."

Lavender rolled her eyes. "Right, because punctuality is the biggest concern here," she muttered, grabbing her worn-out sneakers.

In the main hall, Lavender found her usual spot near the back. She was joined by Josh Worthy, who had a permanent smirk etched on his face, and Ambrose Cunningham, who sat with his arms crossed, glaring at anyone who dared to make eye contact. Celeste Bailey, acting as clueless as ever, fluttered around, chatting with anyone who would listen.

Logan Carter stood at the front, a stack of papers in his hand. "Alright, let's get this over with. First up, French."

Lavender perked up. She'd always had a knack for languages. "Lavender White," Logan called, looking up. "Top of the class. A perfect score."

Josh whistled. "Damn, Lavender. Didn't know you spoke French."

Lavender shrugged. "There's a lot you don't know about me, Josh."

"Next, Celeste Bailey," Logan continued. "You got a B."

Celeste beamed. "Not bad, right?"

"Josh Worthy," Logan called next. "You scored a C. Could be better, but it's a pass."

Josh grinned. "C for 'Could care less.' I'll take it."

Ambrose rolled his eyes. "You're impossible."

Logan moved on. "Ambrose Cunningham. A D. Barely scraped by."

Ambrose didn't react, his face a mask of indifference.

Logan continued with the announcements. "Physics. Lavender, top of the class again. A."

Lavender couldn't hide her smile. She glanced at Josh and Ambrose, feeling a strange mix of pride and guilt.

"Josh, you got a B," Logan said. "Not bad at all."

Josh's eyes widened. "Seriously? I actually passed Physics?"

Ambrose chuckled. "Miracles do happen."

"Ambrose," Logan said, "you got a C. Nice improvement."

Ambrose shrugged. "It's whatever."

"Celeste," Logan continued, "you got an A. Well done."

Celeste smiled brightly. "Thanks, Mr. Carter. I actually enjoyed Physics."

As Logan moved through the subjects, Lavender continued to excel. "Business Administration, Lavender White, top of the class. A."

Josh received a B, Ambrose a C, and Celeste a B. The pattern continued with Advanced Mathematics and Geography.

"Advanced Literature," Logan announced. "Lavender White, top marks again. A."

Lavender nodded, trying to play it cool, but her cheeks flushed slightly.

"Josh Worthy, B. Ambrose Cunningham, C. Celeste Bailey, A."

Celeste beamed. "I love literature. It's like diving into another world."

Finally, Logan reached the electives. "Dance," he said. "Josh Worthy, B. Celeste Bailey, A. Great performances from both of you."

Josh did a mock bow. "Thank you, thank you. My talent knows no bounds."