Angel 17

The sun was already dipping low on the horizon as Lavender made her way to Logan Carter's office. She had a knot of nervousness in her stomach, but she pushed it aside, focusing on the task at hand. Her footsteps echoed in the empty hallway as she approached the door marked "Camp Director."

Taking a deep breath, Lavender knocked softly before entering. Logan looked up from his desk, his expression pleasant but guarded. "Ah, Lavender, come in. What can I do for you?"

Lavender tried to ignore the tension in the air as she took a seat opposite him. "I wanted to talk to you about the scholarship program."

Logan's eyebrows lifted in mild surprise. "Ah, yes, the scholarship. You've been making excellent progress, Lavender. Your grades have been exceptional."

Lavender smiled, grateful for the recognition. "Thank you, sir. I've been working really hard."

Logan nodded, his gaze thoughtful. "Indeed you have. In fact, I was just on the phone with the scholarship committee earlier today. They're very impressed with your dedication and commitment."

Lavender's heart skipped a beat at the mention of the scholarship committee. This was it—the moment she had been working towards for months. She leaned forward eagerly, hanging on Logan's every word.

"However," Logan continued, his tone taking on a slightly ominous edge, "there have been some concerns raised about your behavior here at camp."

Lavender's heart sank, a cold feeling settling in the pit of her stomach. "Concerns? What kind of concerns?"

Logan sighed, his expression regretful. "Well, let's just say there have been reports of certain... incidents involving you and some of the other campers. Nothing too serious, of course, but enough to raise some eyebrows."

Lavender's mind raced as she tried to think of what incidents Logan could be referring to. She hadn't done anything wrong—had she? But before she could respond, Logan's phone rang, cutting off their conversation.

"Excuse me, Lavender," Logan said, reaching for the phone. "I need to take this."

Lavender nodded, her mind still reeling from their conversation. As Logan turned away to answer the call, she couldn't help but overhear snippets of his conversation.

"...Yes, I understand... No, she hasn't confronted me yet... I'll take care of it... Don't worry, everything is going according to plan."

Lavender's blood ran cold as she realized what she was hearing. Logan was behind the threats—the note, the whispers, everything. But why? What could he possibly have to gain from tormenting her?

She sat frozen in her seat, unsure of what to do. Should she confront Logan and demand answers? Should she go to the authorities and report him? Or should she keep quiet and try to gather more evidence?

Before she could make up her mind, Logan ended the call and turned back to her, his expression carefully neutral. "I'm sorry about that, Lavender. Now, where were we?"

Lavender forced a smile, her mind racing with possibilities. "We were just discussing the scholarship, sir. Thank you for your time."

As she made her way out of Logan's office, she couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over her. She needed to talk to someone about what she had heard—someone she could trust.

Her footsteps led her to Ambrose's door, and without hesitating, she knocked softly. Ambrose opened the door, his expression curious. "Lavender? What's wrong?"

Lavender took a deep breath, steeling herself for what she was about to say. "I just overheard Logan on the phone. He's the one behind the threats—the note, everything. He's been tormenting me this whole time."