Chapter 23

The sky opened up and emptied itself in an unhurried bliss. The first drop landed on Makenna's cheek but she was too wrapped up in a world she and Atlas had created to acknowledge it.

Makenna's eyes opened slowly and thoughts began to swirl in her head about what she'd just experienced. Again. But it felt different this time. She hated that she couldn't put a name to the feeling but she was quickly liking it. She lifted her gaze and was surprised to find him looking at her. She wondered how and when they'd gotten here.

He was a nightmare. Her nightmare. Yet somehow he was turning into a dream so beautiful it was unimaginable.

They both searched each other's gaze, seeking answers to unworded questions they were both afraid to ask. But it was there. They knew it. And someone had to ask.

"That better not be an April fool's prank." There was humour written on Atlas' face, but his voice held none,

Makenna slowly shook her head. She was unable to get words out of her mouth. There was a lot of processing going on in her head and she needed to sort through them. She didn't want to say anything that might get her into trouble again. Not after what had happened last time.

She breathed deeply and was happy to find that the elephant sitting on her chest was no longer there. She felt lighter and...safe. His hand moved on her waist and warmth seeped into her skin and permeated the rest of her body.

"Let's get you out of the rain," Atlas' hand fell to his side and he reached for her hand,

Makenna was still stuck in her head, so she let him lead her back to the house without a fight. She kept glancing at her hand in his, which made her feel small.

When they finally got into the house, Will and Vanessa were in the kitchen. They turned towards them as soon as Atlas shut the door behind them. The look on their faces told Makenna that they knew exactly what went down.

"I told you it was going to rain," Vanessa quickly filled the silence,

"We know better now," Atlas smiled,

"Bathroom?" Makenna directed the question at Will,

"Down the hall, last door on your right."

Makenna nodded a thank you and went in search of the bathroom. When the door was locked behind her, she fell against it and let out a heavy sigh. She swallowed and walked to the sink that sat below a vanity.

The girl who looked back at her seemed different somehow. She grabbed some tissue paper and patted her face dry then proceeded to do the same for her hair. The tissue paper picked up some colour from her hair and hints of her red roots peeked through. She tried to evenly distribute some colour to it and she was satisfied with herself. However, she hoped no one looked too closely. Just as she was about to leave, she noticed she'd tracked a bit of mud to the bathroom. She immediately took off her shoes and kept her socks on.

Makenna stepped out of the bathroom and headed back to the living space. Everyone had moved to the sofa and they all turned when she walked in.

"I got you a blanket," Will pointed to a blanket on the three-seater sofa in front of him where Vanessa was seated,

"Thank you." She placed her footwear with the others' and went to the sofa, "I think I tracked some mud in."

"Oh, don't worry about it. We all did."

Makenna spread the blanket on the sofa and the backrest before she sat down with her feet up. The air was warmer and she figured the heater was turned on.

"Will was telling us how he'd convinced his parents to let him stay here," Vanessa who sat on her right side smiled,

"When I get a job, I have to start paying them for the property tax they've covered with interest." Will continued with the story,

Makenna found her gaze drifting to Atlas and her heart jumped when she found that he was already looking at her. He'd taken off his shirt and was down to a dark brown t-shirt that hugged every inch of him. He'd also taken off his shoes like everyone else. He had a stoic expression and she was unable to figure out what was going on in his head.

"What about you, Vanessa?" Will's voice snapped Makenna out of her reverie and she looked at Vanessa,

"Well, I've never left Tacoma for one," She looked at each of them, "I'm not sure I ever could."

"Is that decision because you love it here or because you're afraid of something?"

Vanessa's gaze froze on Will's face and Makenna could see the thoughts swirling in her head. She had never seen someone being asked a question that was possibly life-changing. Until now.

"I don't know."

Makenna smiled to herself knowing that it was a lie. Vanessa was just guarding herself and that was understandable. She was proud that Vanessa was getting good at it because of the line of work she would be getting into.

"Atlas, why here?" Vanessa directed a question at him, "You could've gone anywhere, why Tacoma?"

Atlas smiled,
"My sister. I believe you've met her,"

Vanessa nodded,
"Family is important to you."

Atlas blinked,
"Just my sister,"

Makenna felt something inside him reach out to her. She still didn't understand if his parents were in the picture or not.

"And you, Mac?"

Makenna lifted her gaze to Atlas.

"Is family important to you?"

Makenna opened her mouth and thought about her answer for a brief moment,
"They are."

And she would've left it at that. But things felt different. It wasn't just her but the company as well.

"So are my friends." She stared at the floor and lifted her gaze to Atlas, "I just have a hard time showing it."

"It takes practice." Atlas said, "And it comes naturally once you take the first step."

Makenna's shoulders rose and fell as she nodded.

It has been a second! My break from Wattpad is officially over and I'm excited to get back to writing and chatting with you guys on here

I'd love to know how you guys are doing. Catch me up with what's been going on in your lives.