Chapter 28

Makenna was unaware that she clenched her hand around her napkin and the movement caught Atlas' gaze.

"Stand down," Atlas muttered only for her ears,

His voice was able to get through to her a bit. But as Victor got closer, the urge to leap from her seat and charge towards him thickened the haze of anger. He could use a few blows for all the pain he'd caused her and Thea. The damage he'd done would take much longer to heal than the blows he had coming.

Atlas did not just see the fury in Makenna's eyes, he could feel it. She'd been in this state the last time when she had Victor in a chokehold. Intending to snap her out of her head, he reached for her hand and slid both of their hands off the table. Under the table, he placed their hands on his leg and squeezed hers.

Makenna's gaze dropped from Victor just as he approached their table.

"Hello,"

She heard the smile in his voice but didn't look up at him. Instead, she kept her gaze focused on a spot on the table.

"I know I'm the last person you wanna see," He sounded like he didn't care about that fact with the humour in his tone, "But hey, I just wanted to come here and thank you guys."

"What for?" Will asked,

Victor looked at Will and frowned at him,
"Not you," He nodded towards Atlas and Makenna, "Both of them."

Makenna wasn't paying much attention to the conversation because of the figures Atlas was drawing on the back of her hand.

Victor looked at Atlas and glanced at Makenna who hadn't looked at him since he reached their table.
"Your intervention has changed my life," He sounded so serious, but Makenna knew that tone, "I am now a different person,"

"We can tell," Atlas said,

Victor smiled as some of his friends laughed behind him,

"When a person is still the same complete pillock." Atlas continued, "We don't care about you. We just feel sorry for you."

Victor opened his mouth and closed it like he hadn't expected that.
"Well, so much for apologies,"

Will scoffed,
"If that was an apology, you still have a long way to go."

"This doesn't concern you."

"You came to our table, I'd say it does."

"If you want to apologize, report yourself to the police," Atlas said,

"You think I'd fuck my scholarship over for an apology," Victor looked at his friends and laughed.

He placed his hands on the table, on Makenna and Vanessa's side, and glared at Atlas,
"That little girl is not worth it."

"Say that again." Makenna finally spoke,

Atlas' drawing had stopped when he brought up Thea and she'd felt his hand twitch. Victor looked down at her as Makenna looked up at him from where she sat.

"If you want me to, I'd fuck you up right here and this time, nobody would be able to hold me back." She said softly without blinking, then she smiled, "But I think you kind of enjoy it. Getting your ass handed to you by a girl."

Makenna watched him blink repeatedly as he weighed his options. He smiled and it faltered as he leaned towards her,
"You're not worth my time."

He pulled back and stepped away from their table,
"Let's get out of here,"

"I do not understand people like him." Vanessa broke the silence, "They're the reason the world is so broken,"

Makenna glanced at her and quickly looked away before she could lock gaze with her.

"And in some twisted way, giving them the credit does something for their ego," Will added,

"The nerve of him," Vanessa couldn't believe it, "The second your sister gives her ok, I'd be at the front line trying to get what he deserves."

"Count me in on that," Will said,

Makenna's mind wandered to the night he'd molested Thea who'd been so brave afterwards. Makenna knew it had shaken Thea's world and left a thumbprint of trauma behind that may just remain there forever. It was remembering every session at the gym that reassured Makenna that she was going to be fine.

Makenna felt a squeeze and turned to find Atlas staring at her. Her hand was still in his, resting on his leg. They were silent as Will and Vanessa's voices disappeared into the distance.

Makenna tried to figure out what was going through his head. She knew he wasn't as calm on the inside as he pretended to be when Victor came around. Of course, he was mad at Victor for what he did to Thea, but she'd just never seen him openly react to him. She couldn't help but wonder what else he was carrying inside.

Not knowing what to say but wanting to do something for him, she closed her fingers around his hand and squeezed back. Atlas sighed, not knowing that he'd been holding his breath. Makenna watched the tension fall off his shoulders and felt herself relax too. A smile formed on his lips and he squeezed her hand again, pausing for a while longer before releasing his grip.

Makenna looked down at their hands. The sight of her small hand in his sparked something in her that was a mixture of panic and happiness.

"Again," Atlas smirked,

Makenna lifted her gaze to meet his.

"I saved..."

"Not this again," Makenna pulled her hand from his but Atlas was quick to grab on and keep her hand in his,

"I saved him from you."

Makenna stared into his eyes trying to figure out if he was telling the truth. If he was, then, she'd been quick to judge him that night she'd encountered Victor at the store.

"You don't need saving, Mac." Atlas rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand, "You don't need me."

I don't.
She thought as she gazed into his eyes. Those ocean blues peering into her soul and dredging up something inside her.

But I want you.

Finally! I've been consistently posting booktoks for you guys from both a writer's and reader's pov

Finally! I've been consistently posting booktoks for you guys from both a writer's and reader's pov. I would appreciate the support on any platform you're comfortable with. (direct links --->)

Early Access to Chapter 29 (direct link--->)