Chapter 34

Makenna finished the last of her fries and wiped her fingers with her tissue. She picked her drink and took tiny inaudible sips and she enjoyed the view. Sometimes she forgot just how beautiful Tacoma is. Everyone gets so caught up in their life that they forget to live rather than simply survive.

"Better?"

Makenna looked at Atlas who was relaxed in his seat across from her. His unwavering gaze told her he'd been watching her for a while. Makenna licked her cold lips, folding them and swallowing before she released them. She placed her drink back on the table and mirrored his position.

"Yea," She stared back at him,

A moment later, Atlas cracked a smile and looked away. Makenna hid a smile of her own, curious as to the reason behind his.

"What's funny?"

"I remember the last time I was here," Atlas looked back at her, his smile slowly fading, "You hated me and I hated it."

Makenna blinked. Once. Twice.
"I didn't hate you."

Atlas angled his head, surprised and uncertain.

"A random person walks into my life and decides to mess up the organized chaos, that is my life." Pause, "I didn't know how to fit you in in an already messy life. I didn't know how to feel about you," She looked away, "I hated that."

Atlas did not know what to say to that. He was stunned and did not expect an answer, much less one that sounded very honest.
"A random person, uh."

Makenna's gaze dropped from the spot she'd been looking at, then she shifted her eyes to him. He looked up at her just then and everything inside her screamed.
"Not so random now."

"Do you put all your friends through this same scale?"

Makenna shrugged and Atlas smiled.

"If you can't tell me that, maybe you can tell me how far partner-in-crime is on that scale of yours."

She narrowed her eyes,
"Why?"

"I just want to know how hard I need to work to get there."

Makenna calmed her racing heart,
"It's not on the scale."

She did not expect the smirk that slowly formed on his lips.
"Even better."

"You..." She had no idea what she wanted to say. But not because she had nothing to say, but because she had a lot.

You drive me crazy.

You are insanely attractive and I just now figured it out.

You say things that my heart just can't take.

You make me forget my past and future.

You...

"...have one helmet." She finished, "Why?"

Atlas leaned in on the table,
"You."

Makenna blinked and waited for the rest of the statement.
"Me, what?"

Atlas laughed, looking away and then back at her,
"I have a helmet because of you."

"And you think it's ok that you don't wear one?"

He shook his head once.

"Do you like the gamble?" She asked, "Is the idea of having your life nearly taken exciting for you?"

Atlas had lost all humour as the memories of the accident played in his mind,
"No."

"So, what is it then?"