Chapter 30

Atlas timed everything just right. He made a list of everything he needed to stock up on just after he'd showered and put his clothes in the machine. The second Thea's message came in that she was getting ready to leave, he ordered the food and headed to get the groceries. When he got back, the food arrived with Thea not too far behind.

"How was your day?" Thea asked as she went to wash her hands in the kitchen sink,

"Productive." Atlas answered from behind the kitchen island, "Yours?"

"Oh, we're not talking about my day," Thea wiped her hands and went around to join him,

"That bad?"

"I've had better." She sat down and got comfortable on the chair as best as she could. "Thanks for dinner."

"My door is always open."

They both started eating and just as they took the first bite, Thea froze and said a quick prayer in her head before chewing.

"What's that about?" Atlas smiled as he watched her,

"Just learning to say the grace before eating," She said with her mouthful,

"The grace." Atlas said like it was a weird concept, "Hmm. Killian, I assume."

"If I'm being honest, it's God." Thea said, "Killian is just the person He's using,"

Atlas watched her like she was talking nonsense,
"I respect whatever decision you make as long as it's yours."

Thea smiled and nodded, not wanting to talk with food in her mouth,
"If you got to know Killian, you'd know he would never force his religion on me, or any other thing for that matter."

"Thank you for telling me that." Atlas did appreciate it, "Speaking of, why aren't you with him tonight? Not that I'm complaining."

"He's working late tonight. Something about not wanting to leave them in a bind."

"It's sweet that he volunteers."

"You know he tells me that the time he puts in is nothing compared to what he gets back from working there." Thea smiled, "Surrounded by people who've lived their lives and have more wisdom on their fingertips than I have in my entire body."

Atlas smiled,
"I think Killian has this life thing figured out,"

Thea snapped out of whatever haze she was in and smiled at him. It made Atlas happy to see her happy. He didn't want to ruin her night before he also needed to know.

"Hey," He began, "Have you changed your mind about pressing charges?"

Thea didn't need to ask because she knew exactly what he was talking about.
"I mean, it can't hurt to have something down on file. If he's done this before or does it again, then it can build a case on him."

Atlas nodded,
"Only if you're sure."

"I just don't want to be the one who ruins someone's life. But at the same time, I don't want to be the one who lets someone, that could ruin someone else's life, go scot-free."

Atlas frowned,
"That is...Thea, stop thinking about what's best for everyone and think about what it is you want to do."

"Is it really that simple?"

"Life is not as complicated as a lot of people make it to be."

He kept his gaze on her, watching the thoughts play in her head,
"Whatever you decide, I'll handle it. You don't have to worry about a thing."

Thea watched him for a moment longer,
"He did something else, didn't he?"

Atlas didn't say anything, rather, he took a deep breath.
"Nothing as horrible. Yet."