Chapter 37

Atlas stood at the same spot after he closed his apartment's door. Makenna stood a few feet away from him with her back to him as she assessed his place. He wasn't paying attention to what she was looking at because his gaze was on her. She looked different tonight and he just knew it was going to be extra hard to keep his eyes off of her.

Her dark hair fell to the middle of her back against the oversized black leather jacket she wore.

On the other side of the room, Thea removed her jacket and headed towards Makenna who stood close to the rack.

"I'll take this," Thea took the dessert from Makenna, "You can keep your jacket there,"

Thea glanced at Atlas with a smile,
"Mac got dessert,"

Makenna reached for the lapels of her jacket and started to take it off when she felt a presence behind her, closer than a moment ago.

"Let me,"

Her hands froze and not a second after, she felt his hands cover hers. It was an internal battle but she finally got the willpower to pull her hands away and let him help.

Atlas pulled her jacket off unable to avoid the feel of her dress against his fingers. Thankfully, the sleeves were to her wrists, so he didn't mistakenly brush his fingers against her skin.

Makenna removed one hand from her jacket and turned to the side to remove the other one. Atlas' gaze shifted from her jacket to her face which was bent as she got her other hand out. And just then, her face lifted to his and their eyes met for the second time that night.

"Thank you," She whispered, without meaning to,

"You're welcome,"

"I can't believe you got this much food," Thea's voice broke the spell they were under,

They both turned to the kitchen where Thea and Killian stood opening up boxes.
"Let's dig in before it gets cold."

"Yea," Atlas stepped away from Makenna and hung her jacket on the rack,

Makenna watched him and waited until he turned to her and paused a moment, smiling,
"After you,"

She gave him a small smile and walked ahead of him towards the kitchen island. They all moved the food to the table of four, in front of the kitchen, that was already set. Of course, Thea and Killian sat on one side and left the other side to Makenna and Atlas.

When the food was served, Killian opened the conversation directing his question at Atlas. Makenna smiled, knowing he was making an effort to improve his relationship with his girlfriend's brother. Thea couldn't hide the smile, seeing her brother and her boyfriend sitting at the same table and having a normal conversation.

They talked about Atlas' motorcycle which Killian knew he'd gotten from Big Henry. They went on a boy rant about vehicles which led to the car. Killian mentioned he'd gotten it back from the garage and Atlas asked him about his job and when he was going back now that mid-terms were over. Thea spoke now and then prolonging their conversation longer than it should have lasted. The conversation drifted onto different topics.

Makenna got comfortable when no one was paying attention to her or driving the conversation her way. She was happy to just be in the room and enjoy good food and amazing company. She caught herself smiling more times than she cared to remember.

When their conversation died down, it was time for dessert.

"I'll clear the dishes," Atlas said,

"I'll help," Makenna wanted to feel useful,

She grabbed Thea's plate and Atlas grabbed Killian's.

"I can do that,"

"No, please. You just keep my sister away from the fridge,"

Thea gasped,
"You've got ice-cream?"

Atlas smiled but walked away without a reply. Makenna was already at the sink clearing the dishes.

"You don't have to," Atlas placed the other plates near,

"It's the least I can do,"

"You did bring dessert, so I'll have to argue with that."

"Fair point,"

Atlas smiled when she picked up the other dishes to clear them as well,
"You're not going to stand down, are you?"

She turned her face to his and shook her head,
"Not a chance,"

"I'll get dessert,"

"Ok," Makenna turned her focus to what she was doing,

Atlas took out dessert from the fridge along with some plates. By the time he got them out, Makenna grabbed the dessert and they headed back to the table. He couldn't help but admire her in the black dress she wore for the umpteenth time that night.

"So, I hate to keep this any longer than I have," Thea said after she'd taken a bite of her dessert, "But I filed a report against Victor today."

Everyone at the table went quiet, staring at her like she'd grown a second head.

"Atta Girl,"

"So proud of you,"

"He had it coming,"

They all said at the same time and Thea beamed with a sigh like it was a weight off her shoulders.

"But why didn't you say something?" Killian asked, "I could've gone with you,"

"I know," Thea placed a hand over Killian's on the table, "It just felt like something I needed to do by myself."

Thea glanced at Atlas, Makenna, and back at Killian,
"You've all been telling me to do it in your own way, but going there alone was the step I needed to make. So, thank you."

Killian smiled and held her hand in his.

Makenna smiled and looked away from their cute moment. She could imagine how hard it was for Thea to take that step by herself. She only hoped that it was enough to get Victor away from Thea. Better yet, it would set him on a better path than the one he was on. But she couldn't see how someone like him would change. However, that didn't mean it was impossible.

"Are you ok?"

Makenna turned to look at Atlas and nodded,
"Yea, I'm fine."

"We should head to the terrace for some air," Thea suggested, "And maybe some ice-cream?"

Atlas shook his head with a smile,
"After today, I think you deserve it."

Thea grinned.

Thank you for all the love and support you've shown on my story and my socials

Thank you for all the love and support you've shown on my story and my socials. I am so grateful to have this community and feel blessed to share these stories with you.