Chapter 36

True to her word, Thea showed up at Makenna's dorm a little over half an hour before they had to be at her brother's place for the double sibling dinner...thingy.

As soon as Makenna opened the door, Thea breezed in and Makenna smiled. Thea had the glitter effect where everything she touched and everywhere she went was brighter after she left. It felt like there was a rainbow in her room.

"You wouldn't believe what I found," Thea placed a tote on Makenna's bed and emptied the bag, "There was this dress just dying to be worn for the first time."

Thea turned around grinning and Makenna waited for her.
"So, why don't you have it on?"

"That's the crazy part." Thea kept her smile on hoping she was able to convince Makenna, "It's in black and I just thought..."

Everything in Makenna screamed no as she had an idea where this was going.

"...Mac would look so good in this."

"Never." Makenna said just at the same time Thea finished her sentence,

"Why?" Thea frowned, "What do you have against dresses?"

"Nothing, I just prefer comfort and pants are it."

"But the dress is black." Thea repeated, "And it's long. It's full sleeves. It's beautiful."

"Stop making that face."

"What face?" They knew what face,

"That puppy...dog...thing."

"Please. Just for tonight." She pleaded, "It's dark out, no one will see you and it's just four of us. We go there and come straight back."

"It's dinner at your brother's, not Sunday brunch."

"Which is why this black dress is perfect."

Thea waited and watched as Makenna began to consider it.
"For me?"

Makenna looked at the contents of Thea's bag to the owner who was doing an amazing job of convincing her. It was not because of any of the points she had made but because she didn't want to disappoint her.

Thea watched as Makenna sighed and she knew she'd won. She felt like she'd achieved the world.

"You could convince an artist to buy their own work."

Thea placed a hand on her chest,
"That is the biggest compliment I've ever gotten."

Makenna felt even more nervous than she had been since she found out that she was going to Atlas' place for dinner. Her stomach turned and she felt like she would puke at any minute.

"Alright, let's get changed and get going."

The dress, thankfully, was just as Thea had described. It was honestly more comfortable than she thought it would be except for the bodice that hugged her. She had to throw her leather jacket over it, however, she didn't mind the skirt which flowed down and stopped a few inches above her ankle. She loved that it didn't hug every part of her body. She paired the dress with combat boots and Thea was ok with it.

All in all, Makenna didn't mind the dress. It was far from what she was used to, but she didn't mind it since it would just be four of them.

Outside Atlas' apartment, Killian waited for Thea and Makenna. He'd arrived not too long ago with a pack of canned beer. He hadn't wanted to go empty-handed for the first time to Atlas' apartment. His parents had taught him that much and he wasn't going to let the condition of his relationship with Atlas change that.

Just then, a cab pulled up in front of the pavement and Killian rocked back on his heels with a smile on his face. He watched as Thea got out and sent the most beautiful smile his way.