LII. The Injection

The two guys sit in their chairs like death has already consumed them. It's odd, seeing someone look dead while knowing they're alive. They have this weird glint in their eyes, like if you poked them they wouldn't twitch.

When Liam comes in, I notice how tense my facial muscles are and I quickly force myself to relax. "And?"

"Got it," Liam smiles somewhat humbly. "It should work. It might take a while though."

"Have I ever told you that you're a genius, mate," Soap says from beside me pushing himself off the table he was leaning against to inspect the two injections Liam is holding.

"I'm really not," Liam says. "Just lucky I paid attention in class that week, I guess."

I smile to myself, noticing how humbly Liam is taking this. It's impressive what he's done, even I can acknowledge that. "Very nice work, Liam. You deserve some recognition for this. Truly impressive."

"Thank you, ma'am," he says as he sets down the stainless steel tray covered with a plain blue sheet, the shiny syringes lying on top. "Now, we don't know how long it will take. But it shouldn't take more than two hours," he says as he grabs the first syringe.

From the corner of my eyes, I can tell Soap looks at me, his lips curled up into a small smile. But I refuse to look at him, wanting to give Liam the attention he deserves at this moment.

"I need you two to look over them for now if that's okay," he says, stepping towards the first guard strapped to the chair.

"Of course," I say.

Liam steps toward the first guard, who sits motionless, his eyes fixed on some distant point. As Liam reaches him, he lifts the first syringe, filled with the saline solution combined with specific molecules designed to neutralize the chip's effects.

With a precise movement, Liam injects it into the guard's neck, his hands steady despite the tension in the room.

"So, what happens now?" Soap asks, breaking the silence that has settled over us.

Liam finishes with the first injection and moves on to the second guy. "Now, we wait," he replies, his voice steady despite the importance of the outcome.

I nod, trying to suppress the nervous energy suddenly appearing inside of me. "And if it doesn't?" I ask, trying to keep the worry from creeping into my voice and succeeding in doing so.

Liam pauses, his brow furrowing slightly as he considers the question. "Then we'll have to try something else," he says finally, his tone determined. "But let's not think about that right now. Right?"

"Damn right, brother," Soap says, his tone full of optimism.

I exhale slowly, trying to push aside any doubts. "Let's hope so," I say, offering him a small smile. "I'll stop thinking about the other outcome of it, then."

"Alright," Liam says, placing the emptied-out syringes back on the tray before disposing of them accordingly. "I'll be back in about two hours. If anything odd happens, there are tranquilizers right here. Though I think you guys should be able to handle them."

"Got it," I reply, leaning back against the table next to Soap again, arms crossed. "Thanks again, Liam. For everything."

"Of course," he says before passing through the door, leaving just Soap and me in the interrogation room.

A short silence passes as the two of us just look at the men in front of us.

"Fitting enclosure, don't you think?" Soap says from beside me, amusement dripping from his words.