LIII. Encircled

"You seem to be... less irritable today," Keegan quips behind me, deciding to keep his distance, presumably because of the statement that just left his mouth.

"Are you planning on being the chosen one and changing that?" I say, keeping my gaze in front of me. "I could change it just for you, if you want me to. You know I would."

"I know you would. But no, thanks," he says, amusement present in his voice. "Any reason behind this mood?"

"I really do not want to talk to you about this Kee," I warn, voice half-serious as we once again near the base I've not missed at all.

"Why not? You know me well, don't you? We can talk about anything."

"Yeah, I'd rather not."

"Come on Lexie, tell me about what's making you giddy?"

"Giddy?" I scoff out a sarcastic laugh. "Wouldn't you like to know," I turn to him, eyes glaring.

He raises his hands in defense, though the slight twitch of his eyes tells me the bastard is smiling. "Fine," he says, "I'll ask about it when we get back then."

"I can't wait to get back to my own work and never speak to you again."

"Liar," he says, and by the tone of his voice I can tell he grins. "You'll miss me and think about me every day."

"Keegan, I need you focused on this mission. Not with your mind in some far dreamland."

He doesn't respond and finally picks up his pace to fall into step beside me. Looking up at the night sky, the moon is half covered by a layer of dark clouds. "Think they'll expect us?" Keegan asks, his voice suddenly low and serious.

"I'd make the presumption, yeah. That doesn't mean they're well prepared, though. You remember the kid."

Keegan lets out a quick laugh. "Yeah, I do."

We arrive at the base, this time taking one of the entrances that is not just an unlocked door at the back. We don't have an access card anymore, so it'd be hard to get in the way we did before. Keegan reaches the small window before I do, and he places a small device onto the glass panel right near the edge. He steps back, using his arm to take me back with him too.

Two seconds later, the entire glass panel falls forward as a whole. Keegan is quick to catch it, making sure there's no unnecessary sound from it dropping to the floor. When he places it down, he runs a gloveless finger over the edge of the panel, making sure there are no jagged edges.

"All good," he says as he gets his glove back on. "Ladies first."

I roll my eyes at him before following through with his statement. I push my body through the tiny window, grateful for the fact that my shoulders aren't too broad. As I manage to get through it, I wonder how Keegan will follow with his shoulders. "Good luck" I mumble, taking a step back to give him the space he needs.

With a grunt, he pulls himself up towards the window, getting his feet through first. He manages to push himself through, and even though it's a tight fight, he gets through without needing any help from me.

"Thought you weren't going to fit," I say, turning back to face the hallway we've landed in.

He chuckles low. "Would've been a good thing for me, no?"

"I won't pull you out if you do get stuck," I say. "Now focus. We don't know where they could be."

"Good thing we won't be going on a mission again then."

"Yeah. Good."

The two of us fall into silence as we pass through the once again empty hallways. Even though we try to walk as quietly as possible, our footsteps still echo into the open space.