Chapter 29: Imperial Debacles

December 2nd, 2031

Telta, imperial territory

An imperial army messanger walks through the streets of Telta. As he looks around, he noticed a common sight: a group of civilians were facing the wall with blindfolds on, soldiers of the grimm rifle brigades aiming at them, preparing to open fire.

Even through the masks of the soldiers, the messanger could tell they were hesitant

Even through the masks of the soldiers, the messanger could tell they were hesitant. Even so, they had to obey, lest they faced execution for mutiny, and with a loud "bang", the people dropped to the floor.

The man sighed as he continued his way up to zorzals palace. Things had only been getting worse for the loyalists as the month dragged on. Between the failed assault on Elba, the vitakyan offensive, and continuous failures against the combined British-Republican onslaught, the war had taken its toll on the remnants.

Zorzals had become heavily reliant on foreign aid, particularly his cousin and the solarians, to maintain order. Due to these men having no loyalty to the empire, Brutality and corruption ran rampant, as criminals who fled the Republic thrived.

The army itself had become split, with Conservative elements believing that nothing has to be changed, while reformists attempt to push through improvements of the army.

However, the empires biggest problem, was it's bureaucracy... Or lack thereof. Ever since zorzal abolished the senate, things had unravelled into utter chaos. With the emperor and the inner circle so focused on the war, nobody was there to manage the nations food supply or economy. Famines were constant and were badly managed, with farmers forced to meet unobtainable quotas, and those who failed to meet them were forcefully conscripted.

The lack of ecenomic management also led to many becoming homeless, the saderan elite pocketing all the wealth for themselves. Even the officers had become corrupt, with many embezzling money intended to go to dead soldiers families.

Eventually, the messanger reached zorzals palace, and slowly walked through the gilded halls towards his thrones room. When he entered, he found zorzal on his throne, feasting on a collection of grapes held by his slaves.

"what do you want?" zorzal asked upon seeing the man, clearly not in the mood

"I've come to deliver a message from general padowan" the soldier said "he and the wyvern corp have engaged the British and Republican armies in the city of bellahgno. He believes that if he can repel the assault, he should be able to launch a counter offensive"

Zorzal laughed at the news "excellent. Tell general maio to ready his forces to aid him. We will crush those rebels in due time..."