Kiss & Tell - [Part Six]

Kiss & Tell

Copyright ©

Kiss & Tell - [Part Six]

Two Years Later

Winners never quit and quitters never win. - Vince Lombardi

 ***

           I look up at him, although, I really don't want to.

          Why was it so hard and shameful to admit that you've lost? Why couldn't I just say, 'you won and I lost'?

         “Come on, Jasmine. Admit it.”

         Who the hell does he think he is? As a matter of fact, who is he?

        “Admit what?” I say, arching my eyebrows. I will never ever admit it. Even if my life depended on it.

         “Oh, so this is how you wanna play?” Damn right. This is how I will play.

       I don’t reply, I only twist my heel and turn towards Amy. She wore a black/white bikini, with sunglasses. She was tanning. What was I expecting? Lazy girl.

        “Jazz, make him shut up,” she whines just as I lay down besides her in my sky blue bathing suit. No, let him suffer.

             “Pfft. He deserves pain, Amy,” I scoff. ‘Cause, he really did.

             “But he won!”

            “Cheated. Big difference.”

        “You’re a lost cause, Jazz,” She replies, before losing her interest in this conversation. Because, obvious nothing she says or does would make me admit that I lost to David Sherman. You see, my pal Dave and I had this little argument a few days ago—something about who could catch the most waves in a day.

              I took the challenge almost instantly; with the guarantee that I was going to win—no doubts. After all, I’m a great surfer. I should have won. And I could have if Dave wasn’t as good as I was. It turns out that bastard was better than he looked.

           Sure Dave won, but it wasn’t like anyone was going to make me admit that he did in fact win the challenge.

            Over my dead body.

***

            An hour later, after tanning with Amy and Dave, and listening to Dave bicker about how I wasn’t playing fair, blah blah blah, we decided to head over to Surfs up Ice Cream because my shift was starting in 15 minutes.