Epilogue

Soundtrack: Uniq - The Art of Silence

The events from that fateful January day in 1996 had effectively tarnished Lake Erie & Pennsylvania's reputation for safety. Although the railroad continued serving their dedicated customers, their reputation was ruined so badly that they lost over a dozen potential contracts. Shortly after the Incident, Joey resigned from his role as Head Dispatcher, since the event had never left him. He stated that he had nightmares of the event playing out over & over again & it was too much for him to continue working for the Railroad. A couple of weeks before his resignation, Grace had resigned due to the trauma of being onboard the train when it ran away.

Rich along with the rest of the crew continued working as the railroad's Superintendent & head dispatchers until retirement in 2014. He continues to be close to the company to this day. As for Joey & Grace, well Joey's Girlfriend broke up with him after he resigned & Grace's Fiancée dumped her immediately after her resignation. Eventually, Joey got a job as a Condo cleaner in Myrtle Beach SC after moving away from Pennsylvania. Coincidentally, Grace was working in the same condo, after she, along with her son moved to Myrtle Beach as well. Both met, Months after the fateful day & became very close friends. Eventually falling in love & getting engaged in May of 2001 & married in 2002. The 2 are still together to this day & live in Myrtle Beach.

Still to this day, whenever either Joey or Grace cross over Railroad Tracks, it brings them back to that Cold January day in 1996. & in their dreams, whenever they're in bed at night, they dream of seeing those 4 Units racing pass out of control, heading straight for hell, with the spirits of Ms. Trunchbull, Mr. Wormwood, & PC Ray, trapped onboard, doomed to repeat their final moments & for the train to repeat its final journey. As for Mrs. Wormwood, Rudolpho, & Micheal, they were convicted for trespassing on railway property & Money laundering. All 3 pleaded guilty & were sentenced to 4 years at a local prison. All 3 got out after completing their sentences & were reformed. Rudolpho went on to find another dance partner & continued his career & continues to compete on the tarantella to this day. Mrs. Wormwood, quit dancing after she was released & started a cattle & horse ranch in West Virginia, where she lived & worked until passing away in her late 60's in 2020 due to Covid-19. Micheal was released & lived with Mrs. Wormwood until he moved out to attend college in the early 2000's. He currently lives in New Hampshire. As for the other involved, it's unknown what happened to them.

As for the locomotives, the Lead Unit was destroyed after colliding into the abandoned mine & was impossible to get out. It remains in the mine to this day. The Trailing units had their brakes replaced & continued service. Both High Hood GP38-2's were rebuilt into short hood cabs & continued to be in service. The E8A Unit continues service, but now on the Railroad's Office car Special & other Charter trains. The Abandoned Mine Spur was ripped up to prevent the same thing happening again, though some people have reported seeing a lone engine with a damaged front end & 2 figures on top of the Long Hood racing pass them before disappearing into the abyss. Whether these claims were true or false, is unknown, but the story of the Runaway From Hell would remain a haunting legacy of Railroad history since that Cold January day in 1996.

Thanks for reading, until we meet again, see you guys in the next installment of Terror on American Rails