Chapter 5 ~ dinner ~

Kan sat in Kiri's car and gazed out of the window, to say he felt uncomfortable was an understatement, why the hell did he keep finding himself in awkward situation's with this man? 

Did Kiri really feel so guilty about their first meeting that he would go to such lengths to make amends? Kan began questioning himself, wondering if he was being too harsh and wondered if he should perhaps let bygones be bygones? 

Kiri's actions seemed very sincere but as he kept saying, after this meal and the ride to his grandparents, they would probably never see each other again.

Kiri could sense than Kan was unsettled about something, he was probably just hungry and jet lagged. He knew a great place where he and Lon used to go back in the day when he didn't have a lot of money and they were both working in the building trade. 

Lon had paid himself through college but where he just saved what he earnt, Kiri had worked, ate and slept, every day in that order until eventually he found himself working in the hospitality business and learnt the trade as he worked.

Steering the car left and travelling up a narrow lane, it eventually opened up into a small clearing. There was a modest wooden house with a huge tree beside it which would offer shade during the day to the tables beneath but right now the scene was ethereal with fairy lights strung across the branches and candles flickering on the tables.

This place was so pretty, it was nothing like Kan had expected. He had thought Kiri would take him to an overpriced eatery in the city, not somewhere as sweet and romantic as this, wait, what? romantic? what the hell was he thinking but yeah, he could imagine bringing a date here he thought to himself justifying his mental meanderings.

Kiri parked the car, climbed out and before Kan had the chance to register his actions he had walked around to the passenger side and was opening the door for Kan.

"er, thank you" Kan said as he climbed out.

They both walked towards the house and Kiri placed the flat of his hand against the small of Kan's back, in response, Kan turned slightly and slapped his hand away.

"what the hell, I'm not a girl!" he snapped at Kiri.

"sorry" Kiri said smiling as he lifted both his hands in a gesture of mock surrender as Kan mumbled to himself ... 

"just going around touching people without any warning ... "

Kiri approached one of the tables and casually pulled out a seat for Kan until Kan looked at Kiri before grabbing the back of the chair, 

"I can manage"

"your so temperamental, like a highly strung racehorse" Kiri said.

"what, just because I don't want to be treated like a date" Kan replied.

"it's just common courtesy Kan, why so sensitive, perhaps deep down you want it to be a date?"

"fuck you Kiri" and Kiri just shook his head.

"now we're in Thailand, shouldn't you be calling me a bit more respectfully?" Kiri said sighing,

"let's just eat shall we" he continued.

It wasn't long before a lady approached their table and both men wai'd showing their respect.

"Kiri son, how are you boy?"

"I'm fine but still working hard, I've brought my friend Kan to taste your wonderful cooking" he said, smiling at the lady who was patting his back fondly.

"two plates of chicken basil mae" Kiri smiled again and the lady walked off to return with a jug of ice tea and two glasses. She left again and returned shortly after with a glass of nom yen (pink milk) and presented it in front of Kiri.

"mae, I'm not 16 any more" he laughed but hugged her all the same. She ruffled his hair and bent to plant a kiss on his cheek.

Kan sat back and watched in amazement, the man opposite him was acting nothing like the asshole he met back home, he was actually ... pleasant, shiyaa, he even blushed when the lady kissed his cheek.

After a while she returned with two steaming plates of basil chicken and Kan tucked in with gusto, this was even better than his dad's cooking. He would have to remember the way so he could bring his grandparents and maybe Phak and Klem, they would love it here too. Kan had heard from Phak that Klem was wealthy, perhaps he wouldn't entertain eating at a place like this, no that can't be right. Phak would not be attracted to someone like that.

"your very quiet Kan, is everything ok?" Kiri asked

"I'm just thinking about my grandparents and how different you are here" Kan replied.

"I'm not different Kan, I'm always like this except when I have to project a certain image in the boardroom. I told you, you just caught me on a bad day when we met" Kiri said.

"ok already, I'll accept your apology but it doesn't mean were best friends or anything" Kan spoke.

"suit's me, I don't want to be your friend either but thank you for accepting my apology" Kiri smiled and Kan's stomach suddenly felt weird.

"are you ready to leave Kan?"

"yes, my grandparents must be getting worried by now, I'll go ahead and call them and tell them I'm on my way" he said while Kiri went to pay for their meals and bid farewell.

Soon they were both back on the road again after Kiri had made a point of helping him into the car and securing his seatbelt and Kan's stomach had somersaulted again. 

His grandparents lived in a modest house in the XXXX district and he was looking forward to visit the floating markets with Phak and Klem, he hoped he wasn't going to feel like a third wheel after years of having Phak all to himself?

It wasn't long before they reached their destination and Kan's grandparents came out of their house to welcome him. There were hug's and wai's all round as introductions were made and refreshments given.

"Kiri Junphanatat? the Junphanatat of KJ Holdings ?" Kiri nodded

"well, thank you dear for bringing Kan home" Kan's grandparents spoke to Kiri.

"it was my pleasure" he wai'd

"please let us repay you buy inviting you to dinner one evening next week" Kan's nan said.

"thankyou, I will look forward to it. I will give Kan my line so he can tell me the details" Kiri said wai'ing again.

"wonderful, and perhaps when you come you will meet Phak as well?"

Kiri gave Kan his line details and said goodbye all the while wondering who the bloody hell Phak was and he was surprised when Kan saw him to his car.

"message me when you get home then, not that were friends or anything but I don't want to be worrying you didn't get home safe on account of me" Kan said.

Kiri put a hand up and ruffled Kan's hair, he was so determined to put up barriers it was entertaining if a little frustrating.

"will do Kan and don't worry, I know were not friends"

and with that, Kiri climbed into his car and drove away whilst looking through his rear view mirror at the boy he couldn't seem to stop thinking about just lately. He was suddenly very much looking forward to their next meeting. 

Who was this Phak person they were talking about, was he a relative? neither Sheila nor Sucharit had mentioned any boyfriend? were Kan's grandparents thinking of setting him up with someone?

He had always steered clear of commitments but regardless he could not allow that to happen, he was the best choice if they wanted their grandson married off. 

Kan kept reminding him that they were not friends but Kiri hoped they would be more, he had decided that he wanted him and he was going to make damn sure he got him and Kan was just going to have to come around to his way of thinking.

***

~ if you enjoyed this please vote ~