Chapter 22

Manga spoilers in this chapter

Damian pov

I pull on the jacket to my suit as I hear a knock at the door, "Come in," I call out. 

The door slowly opens as Anya shyly steps into the room then dress that I asked her to wear.

She looked beautiful.

But she wasn't wearing the necklace I bought her?

Did she change her mind?

My chest tightened with disappointment.

"I left the necklace box in here," she muttered embarrassment.

My body relaxed then I shake my head, "You turkey," I mutter as I check my desk drawer and find the box that was holding the necklace.

"I'm going to tell Hildegarde that you called me a turkey," she says putting her hands on her hips.

"What not your parents?" I ask absently as I unclip the necklace.

She chuckles as she sits down on my bed and moves her hair out of the way, "If I did that you wouldn't be able to attend dinner tonight."

The image of Yor Forger's hair pin flying in front of my  eyes then near missing the priest at our wedding sends a shiver down my spine.

"Fair enough," I said as I sit down behind her and put the necklace around her neck and clip it back together again then the centre settles comfortably on her décolletage.

She releases her hair and it falls back into place.

Suddenly there is a knock at the door, "Master Damian," Wilhelm calls. "Madame Desmond has arrived."

Anya tenses beside me, "You nervous?" I ask getting off the bed.

"Well it is the first time I'm meeting your mum in years," she says getting up.

I chuckle, "Don't worry, she doesn't bite."

"What if she doesn't like me?"

I take her hand and lead her out of the room heading towards the main hall, "Do you remember the tea cake incident?" 

That incident way back then makes more sense now that I know she can read minds.

She smiles at the memory, "Yeah, those tea cakes were the most delicious tea cakes I've ever eaten."

"Mother was the one who got them for me that day," I explain. "She wanted us to be friends."

Anya huffs and mutters something about saving the world under her breath.

I shake my head, "So in short, she's liked you from way back then, so don't worry."

We turn the corner and I catch a glimpse of mother by the entrance and I suddenly go stiff. Anya who had kept on walking jolts back.