Chapter 23

(I just released canonically, Damian's butler is called Jeeves, can't do much about it other than say Jeeves retired when Damian was 8 and Wilhelm took his place.)

Anya pov

I jolt back as Damian stiffens next to me, his fingers tightening around my hand. I could see Madame Desmond downstairs ordering servants to take her luggage.

Now it's my turn to be reassuring, not that I know how to do that, "Come on, Damian," I insist, tugging his arm. "I'm hungry."

The scared look that glinted in his eyes disappeared as he focused on me, "Yeah," he says shaking his head. "I think Wilhelm said they were preparing Hoppelpoppel today with beef salami."

"Really?" I say. I have no idea what that is since I grew up eating Westalian dishes rather than Ostanian. Not that Mama knew that either, she just thought everything Papa made was his own recipe.

We slowly approach the stairs and then Damian lets go of my hand then offers me his arm instead. A picture of graceful aristocrat couples enters my mind from Damian's showing me that was the way he wanted us to walk down the stairs.

Gracefully.

I can manage that, right?

I take his arm, mimicking the picture then we head downstairs. "Mother," Damian says letting out a breath.

Melinda Desmond stood a few centimetres shorter than Mama in an elegant black and white floral swing dress and a large summer hat which she took off to get a better look at me. Her stare felt cold whilst her thoughts seemed overly excited as she thought that I have taken on a similar dress sense as Mama.

Damian stiffens again ever so slightly, "Welcome back," he says formally. "I believe you have met Anya before."

"Just in passing several years ago," Melinda says. "You've grown into a beautiful young lady."

Perfect fit for my son, she mentally approves. Why can't she just say that to him?

Damian just stands there and nods. Melinda heads into the dining room, Damian begins to follow after her but I hold him back.

I pull his arm to bring him down a bit then I tip toe to reach his ear and whisper "She said I'm the perfect fit for you."

His mental walls collapse as all his thoughts jet around in his mind, "Really?" he says shocked.

I laugh slightly, "Come on," I say dragging him to the dining hall. "Let's go eat."