Chapter 2

Jane and Dazai had exchanged some greetings and made a bit of small talk before Dazai offered to give her and Kunikida a chance to meet properly. He insisted it was because he did not want to see his friend and coworker regret his decision in the future, but it might have also been because Dazai enjoyed tormenting Kunikida.

"I appreciate your concern," Jane said, "but if Kunikida is not looking for a relationship, I couldn't possibly change his mind."

"Oh come on." Dazai was clearly disappointed. "You didn't even get a chance to talk."

"You're right, we didn't," she admitted. "But I accepted that possibility when I decided to write a letter. I'd rather have him know everything than kick myself for saying something stupid or forgetting to say something important."

"Yeeaah sure," he dragged, slumping more onto the table, "but he should have at least talked to you. Will you really be around and single in six years? You're so close to his ideal too."

Jane let go of the glass and focused on the cold sensation it had left. "About that. I don't actually think that I'm his ideal type. He just said it to make me feel better."

"But it actually made you feel worse, didn't it?" His tone betrayed that he was, at most, expectant, but he was actually triumphing inside, knowing that he had got her.

Jane pouted, considering the thought.

"Nevermind," he continued, "I just think it would be a shame to let it end like this, but I won't force you anymore."

Jane sipped her drink before replying, "You're right. It would be a shame. And I wouldn't mind getting to know him as a person."

"Great!" Dazai let his excitement show a bit too much. "I'll create an opportunity for you. Just trust me."

"I don't know about that," Jane said. "Trust a man I just met, a man who simply wants his friend to have a date. Why should I actually trust you?"

"Because I'm your only chance," Dazai said with an annoying tone and smile. "Besides, my plans always work."

"Fine," Jane conceded. "Just nothing too outlandish please."

"Don't worry about it! See?" He pointed outside. "My plan has already begun."

Jane leans over the table to get a better view of whatever Dazai was pointing at. He probably meant Kunikida walking away somewhere.

"And?"

"He is going to meet an informant. According to today's schedule (which I memorized beforehand) he will be back at the agency dorms by sunrise. That's when we'll show up as well and Kunikida will feel compelled to not have you sleep over at my place."

"Alright, sounds good. I'll meet you back here in a few hours then?"

"I was actually hoping you could help us at the office, if you'd be so kind. We could really use your help." He stood.

Jane finished her smoothie and followed Dazai's lead. "I guess I could. But I need to drop by my aunt's place to get my stuff anyway, so is it okay if we leave a bit early?"

"Of course." He replied as he opened the door to the street. "Your aunt?"

"Yeah, I'm staying at her place while I'm in Yokohama. I'm actually from the countryside."

"Ah I see."

They made it upstairs. Dazai opened the door for Jane and gestured for her to enter. Once she appeared, Kenji shot up. "It's the girl from earlier! Nice to see you again!"

"Hi!" Jane quietly replied in addition to smiling and waving. Being in the center of everyone's attention felt a bit too much at that moment.

"Everyone, this is Jane! She'll be helping us out today," he declared to the office, and then primarily to Jane, changing his tone, "Her gift really is amazing."

Jane did her best not to snap. "How do you know about my gift, Dazai? Hmm?" she quietly asked him. But her eyes reflected the fire burning deep inside.

Dazai smiled. "An angel whispered in my ear."

"Ooh! What kind of gift do you have, Jane?" Atsushi resolved some tension.

"I could tell you myself, but maybe Sir Dazai over here would like to do the honors?!" Her tone intensified as her annoyance grew with every word she uttered.

"Oh my," Dazai said happily. "You're angry."

Jane thought about retorting but decided to click her tongue instead. "So will you?"

"If my information is correct, your gift allows you to find anything and anyone?" he asked Jane instead of announcing it to the whole group.

"Basically yes. I can know where anything or anyone is, provided that I have enough information about the missing object. Just like any regular person can only look for something if they have a vague guess about the location and what exactly they're looking for."

"Wow, that's amazing!" Atsushi marveled. "We have so many cases that involve missing objects that you showing up right now is truly a blessing. You're a lifesaver, Jane!"

"I haven't done anything yet," she retorted quietly.

"Well, if you don't mind, I have an urgent one," Tanizaki began.

"Please go ahead."

Tanizaki held up a paper for Jane to look at. "A client lost this suitcase when transferring flights. They believe that it was targeted on purpose."

"Did it have anything important inside?"

"The client claims that it was an ordinary suitcase with nothing valuable."

Jane closed her eyes. "It's already been rummaged through. The contents are scattered around the old warehouse near the fish tackle shop at the port. The suitcase itself is near the trash containers."

"Thank you." Tanizaki stood up. "I'm leaving now."

"Wait for me, brother!" Naomi rushed after him and they left.

Dazai had returned to his seat but seemed to be goofing around instead of actually working. Jane stared at him angrily.

"Jane," Atsushi began cautiously after walking up to her. "Dazai often guesses right based on his crazy intuition and intellect. Don't let it bother you."

Jane let out a breath. "I'll do my best. Thanks, umm..."

"Ah, sorry! We didn't even introduce ourselves. My name is Atsushi. That's Kyoka and Ranpo and Yosano and Kenji," he explained, "and Tanizaki left before with Naomi. And you know Dazai," he added since Dazai looked upset he was being left out. Everyone smiled, but Jane mainly focused on how irritatingly smug Dazai's smile looked.

"Do you need my help finding anything else? Because if not I could go to my aunt's and..."

"You!" Ranpo interrupted. "How about a match? I am also quite adept at collecting information and knowing things, you see."

"A game? Is that necessary?"

"Well, we could figure out the differences between our abilities with a game. If your gift turns out to be an asset when compared to mine, we could even hire you."

"Oh, I am not looking for a job," Jane explained, correcting her attitude towards Ranpo. She had thought that he was looking down on her, but he seemed to only have said and suggested what he did to figure out whether they could create a position for her at the agency. "I am not from Yokohama, I'm just visiting."

"Oh. Well, that makes things a lot more difficult. Have you ever considered moving here?"

"How about we play that game first? Otherwise having this conversation would be pointless."

"I'm not interested anymore!" He returned to his seat and ripped open a new bag of chips.

"But you're the one who– well, whatever."

Jane located other missing objects for the Agency until it was time for her and Dazai to go.