Chapter 5

As soon as the sun had risen, Chuuya came to wake Jane up. She was allowed to wash herself and given breakfast, which she ate despite having no appetite. Compared to the night before, the hopelessness of her situation had sunk in. But she tried to focus on the positive: she was treated like a human being. She had slept in a very nice room (nicer than Kunikida's living room), eaten breakfast and civilly conversed with one of her captors. Nobody had threatened her so far despite being in the Mafia.

When the time was right, Chuuya went to get Jane and prepared her for meeting the boss. "He is a very sensible man," he explained, "but if you're too aggressive, he'll also show his true colors. But don't worry, I bet everything will be fine in your case."

"But I don't want to stay here," Jane objected. "I'm still your prisoner, locked in a small room."

"Let's wait and hear what Boss will say."

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. Two men pointed their guns at the pair.

"Nakahara Chuuya to see the Boss with Jane."

The men stepped aside and they walked through a dark corridor until the doors were opened.

There was no natural light in the room, but Jane could make out a figure sitting behind the table at the opposite side of the room. And a small blonde girl playing between Mori and where they were standing.

"Welcome, Jane, to the Port Mafia. I heard from Chuuya that he already explained why you're here."

"Yes, sir. But I respectfully disagree with it. I don't want to be a prisoner."

"You're not a prisoner since you didn't do anything wrong, nor are we trying to prevent you from doing anything."

"But you're trying to prevent me from being captured."

Giiiirl, Chuuya thought in his head.

Mori didn't seem to mind Jane's defiant replies (yet). "Is that such a bad thing? In the end we're saving you from who-knows-what torture or horrible working conditions."

Jane didn't have a good enough comeback for that in such a situation.

"And before you say that the Armed Detective Agency can protect you," Mori continued, "that is clearly not the case. Us capturing you proved it."

Jane stood quietly, hating herself for agreeing with the Mafia Boss.

"The reason I called you here was to discuss your future position. If you don't want to feel like a prisoner, I am assuming you'd be willing to work for the organization. If you become a member, we will trust you to move freely."

"How is that different from me being free and on my own?"

"You'll have a massive organization backing you up and looking out for you."

"And I'll only use my gift to aid the organization – I can pretty much guess the rest."

"So, what do you think?"

Every fiber of Jane's being was against working for an organization like the Port Mafia.

"If that helps, I'll guarantee that you won't be sent on-site if we know that there might be bloodshed."

Jane's eyes shot wide when she realized that Mori had anticipated her concern.

"But what if I want to become an independent information broker?" she half jokingly asked.

Mori laughed. "You'd still need to hold more power than your client, which, judging from your current state, is unlikely. You're no threat. You have a powerful gifted man next to you and two guns pointed at you, ready to take you out when I give the command. You're really in no position to refuse me."

"The illusion of choice..."

"Exactly. So, will we do this the easy or the hard way?"

"Could I ask for some time to consider? I have some questions for Sir Nakahara."

"Oh? How interesting."

Chuuya looked at Jane with wide eyes before narrowing them. What are you plotting? he thought.

"I'll have your final answer in an hour," Mori said and the guards opened the doors. Jane and Chuuya left and rode the elevator down.

"What are you planning?" Chuuya demanded.

"Nothing. I just wanted to ask a few things."

Chuuya's expression softened.

"For example," she continued, "why did you join the Mafia?"

"The Mafia and I were both investigating the same case and Mori made me work together with Dazai."

"Dazai??"

"Yeah, he was one of the executives until about four or five years ago. Argh! But let's not talk about him, I can already feel my blood pressure rising!"

The elevator doors opened, revealing Jane's aunt with armed escorts.

"Aunt??"

"Jane? You were captured too?"

"Why is she here?" Jane demanded Chuuya.

Chuuya couldn't answer quickly enough before Jane went and hugged her. "So that's why you weren't home," she said into her clothes. "Are you okay? I'm sorry I got you involved."

Chuuya stepped off the elevator, pulling the niece off from the aunt, allowing the lady and the escorts to enter. Jane's panic grew at the same pace the elevator doors closed. The indicator revealed that they're moving up, and the numbers only kept climbing. Jane's breathing hitched, her mind imagining the horrible things that might happen. Anger rose inside her.

"So you decided you were going to capture us even before I made it to the Agency's dorm and was left alone. Thus, you lied, Nakahara Chuuya."

Chuuya didn't let her realization affect him. Instead, he remarked, provokingly, "Your presence has really changed, I feel like you could cut my throat if you wanted to."

Jane didn't reply. Anger was a heavy burden.

"Is your aunt gifted, Jane?"

"I don't think so. If she is, then she's kept it a secret from me."

"Jane, I have the option of letting you go, but if you leave now, I can't guarantee the safety of your aunt. You'll also put yourself at risk. I don't think you realize how important the role you play in the welfare of this city is."

"I'll accept whatever consequences. I just feel it in my heart that I need to get back to the Agency."

Something in Chuuya's whole being changed to something more gentle. "I hope your heart is not mistaken. Follow me. I'll help you."

The change in Chuuya's demeanor also affected Jane in a calming way. She followed him to the entrance leading to an underground cell. As they were in the middle of their way down the stairs, Chuuya stopped.

"Lift my coat, you'll see a transmitter." Jane did. She also followed Chuuya's instructions to make contact with the Agency. After Jane had requested someone to pick her up near the exit Chuuya had specified, he explained to her the way out without being detected.

"Thank you, Sir Nakahara, for everything."

"The next time we meet, I'll be ordered to capture you."

"Wait, will you be alright?"

"It's too late to be worried about me," he snapped. "Now, remember the route to the exit and leave! I'll create the distraction as soon as you're out of my sight."

Jane thanked Chuuya once again and ran for her life, being careful to avoid the guards just like Chuuya had instructed.