Chapter 31

▪️A L E S S I O▪️

The Cardinal's words cut through the air like a dagger, each syllable imbued with a smugness that made my blood boil. His gloating expression was a mask of triumph, and it took all my self-control not to lunge at him, despite the bindings on my wrists.

"Shit..." I muttered, glancing over at Serena.

The sight of her, bound and vulnerable, tugged at my heart with a ferocity that threatened to overwhelm me. Her wrists were tied tightly, the rough ropes digging into her delicate skin. When we locked eyes, I could tell that she was scared, but she was doing her best to put up a brave appearance.

I wanted to tell her that we would be okay, but as I looked around the dungeons, I knew that we were in a tricky situation.

The air was thick with dampness and the stench of decay. Shadows danced eerily on the cold, stone walls, cast by the flickering torches that barely illuminated the dank space. The iron bars of the cell were rusted, their rough edges hinting at years of neglect and countless forgotten prisoners. Water dripped steadily from the ceiling, forming small, murky puddles on the uneven ground.

As I took in our grim surroundings, a sense of dread settled in my stomach. This was a place where hope came to die. The very walls seemed to whisper of despair and lost souls. I could feel Serena's presence beside me, her strength a quiet beacon in the oppressive darkness, but the weight of our predicament was undeniable.

I clenched my fists as I addressed the Cardinal, "What is it that you want?"

"I think you already know the answer," he replied, his voice oozing with false benevolence. "The choice is simple. You need not burden yourself with this woman anymore. Your duty lies with Savoy, and as I told you, I'm working on arranging a marriage for you to secure our kingdom's safety and prosperity."

Rage surged within me, hot and consuming.

"You'll do well to remember that I'm the Marquis–"

Cardinal Ulisse cut me off with a wave of his hand, "Yes, but you would do well not to forget the power the Church wields. It would be wise for you to heed my counsel and prioritize the greater good of Savoy."

I clenched my fists at my sides, my jaw tightening with suppressed fury.

His subtle threat, veiled in false benevolence, was a stark reminder of the delicate dance we played in this realm of politics and power. To openly challenge him would be to risk the stability of Savoy and the safety of its people. Despite my indignation, I knew that maintaining composure in the face of such provocation was crucial.

Any misstep could have dire consequences, not just for me, but for all those who depended on me for leadership and protection. So, with deep breath, I did my best to calm myself while meeting the Cardinal's gaze with a cool determination, unwilling to let him see the turmoil raging within me.

"Do not think that you can manipulate me," I retorted, my voice laced with barely contained irritation. "I will not allow you to dictate my actions or the fate of those under my protection."

The Cardinal's lips curled into a sardonic smile as he said, "We shall see, Marquis. But like I said, you need not concern yourself with this woman anymore."

The very idea of abandoning Serena was abhorrent, yet the weight of my duties pressed heavily on my shoulders. I had always known that my position came with responsibilities and sacrifices, but this was a cruelty I had not anticipated.

"Serena is no witch, and you know it!"

"Perhaps, but the people don't know that. And perception, my dear boy, is often more powerful than the truth. You must think of your people, your duty. A marriage alliance will bring stability, while harbouring a witch will only bring chaos and suspicion."