Chapter 34

▪️A L E S S I O▪️

It had taken a few days, but I had finally gotten the information I needed.

The twins' trusted informant, a master of stealth named Mysterio, had infiltrated the Cardinal's residence with precision and cunning. After two nights of surveillance, he had found out exactly where the Cardinal kept his hidden documents: inside a large religious statue located in his bedroom.

Mysterio's findings were even more damning than we had hoped. The documents revealed the Cardinal's involvement in paying to have young children from other countries stolen. There were also detailed records of the Cardinal's embezzlement, showing that he had been siphoning money from the church for years. The evidence was overwhelming.

I paced my study, the weight of the papers heavy in my hand. Mysterio had extracted only a few, so as not to rouse suspicion when the Cardinal went to the statue. But these sheets were more than enough. This was my chance to expose the Cardinal and save Serena.

Exhaling deeply, I said, "It's time to confront Ulisse."

With the documents securely hidden on my person, I strode out of my study and got into a carriage as I made my way to the Cardinal's residence. The guards at the gate recognized my wagon and let me pass without question. The Cardinal likely thought that whenever I returned, I would be coming to talk about my upcoming wedding.

"He's in for a surprise..." I murmured as I entered the manor.

The air felt thick as I walked through the grand halls, each step bringing me closer to the confrontation that would determine Serena's fate.

The door to the Cardinal's private chambers loomed ahead, and I squared my shoulders as I stood before it. After pausing for a moment, I pushed the door open with a firm hand, my heart pounding in my chest. The Cardinal stood by the window, his back to me, seemingly lost in thought. He turned as I entered, his face a mask of composed authority.

"Alessio," he greeted, his tone smooth and unctuous. "What brings you here? How are the preparations coming along?"

I stepped forward, "They haven't been. I'm here to talk about something else." I then pulled the incriminating documents from my coat and held them up for him to see. "These documents prove your crimes, Cardinal. Your days of deceit and exploitation are over."

His eyes flickered with surprise, but he quickly composed himself, his expression hardening as he sneered, "You think you can come here and accuse me based on a few pieces of paper? Do you know who you are dealing with?"

"I know exactly who I'm dealing with," I retorted, my voice cold and unwavering. "And I will see you brought to justice, for Serena and for all the lives you've destroyed."

Stepping forward with a predatory grace, he said, "You've made a grave mistake, Alessio. The church will protect me, and you will find yourself in ruin."

I stood my ground, meeting his gaze, "We'll see about that."

Cardinal Ulisse's face tightened with fury, his eyes narrowing as he glared at me. Then, almost imperceptibly, his expression began to shift. The tension around his mouth relaxed, and a slow, sinister grin spread across his face, exuding an air of superiority.

But I was undeterred as I held my ground.

"How arrogant are you?" I asked, holding up the documents that detailed his embezzlement. "These records show that you've been stealing from the church itself. How do you think the church will react when they learn of your betrayal?"

For a moment, his composure slipped, his eyes widening with genuine fear. He quickly masked it with a scoff, but I could see the panic lurking beneath his facade.