Chapter 24

▪️A L E S S I O▪️

Days later, when word of the Siege of Malta's resolution reached Savoy through messengers, I could not shake the sense of wonder and disbelief that washed over me.

It was as though I had been transported to a realm of fantasy, where the impossible became possible and the extraordinary became ordinary. Serena's prediction had come to pass with eerie accuracy, confirming what I had struggled to accept.

She truly was from the future.

Standing amidst the bustling courtyard, I found myself grappling with a torrent of conflicting emotions. On one hand, there was a profound feeling of awe at the remarkable woman by my side, whose knowledge transcended time itself. On the other hand, there was a gnawing unease, a realization that my worldviews had been irrevocably shattered by the revelation of Serena's origins.

Later that evening, I led Serena to the tranquil garden, seeking solace surrounded by fragrant blooms and whispering trees. Here, amidst the peaceful sanctuary, I hoped to find clarity within the swirling turmoil of my thoughts.

"You really are from the future..." I murmured as I held her hand.

Serena met my gaze with understanding, "Yes, I know you said you believed me, but now that it's been proven, I know that you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed with the fact that I really come from another place in time."

As we strolled through the garden, I found myself drawn to the vibrant colours and delicate scents that surrounded us. Lost in the tranquillity of the garden, I could not help but marvel at the depth of Serena's courage and resilience. Despite the weight of her secrets, she found a way to fit into this strange world and had faced each challenge with unwavering determination, earning my admiration and respect.

"I may not fully understand how or why you came to be here," I admitted, my voice tinged with vulnerability, "but I know that our paths were meant to intertwine. Together, we will navigate this uncertain future, one step at a time."

With a gentle smile, Serena tightened her hold on my hand, her touch grounding me in the present moment. "Together," she echoed softly.

After a while, we moved towards the most secluded part of the garden, where we sat next to each other. The air was redolent with the scent of blooming flowers, their delicate petals painted in hues of soft pastels that danced in the gentle breeze. Shafts of sunlight filtered through the lush canopy overhead, dappling the ground with patches of warm golden light that danced playfully amidst the shadows.

"I never imagined things would become so complicated," I murmured to myself, my gaze fixed on the horizon. The words slipped from my lips before I could stop them, a whispered admission of the tumultuous thoughts swirling in my mind.

Serena turned to me, a quizzical expression flickering across her features as she caught the unintended confession, her eyes searching mine, "What do you mean?"

I shifted uncomfortably under her gaze, regretting the slip of tongue.

"It's nothing," I replied hastily, attempting to dismiss the matter with a casual wave of my hand. But even as the words left my mouth, I knew that the weight of unspoken truths lingered heavily between us.

Her thumb gently brushed across the back of my hand as she spoke, her voice tinged with sadness, "I never wanted to burden you with this."

"You're not a burden, Serena," I insisted, turning to meet her eyes with earnestness. "You're extraordinary, and like I told you, I'm here for you, no matter what happens."

Her smile was bittersweet, gratitude shining in her eyes. "Thank you, Alessio," she whispered, her words barely audible. "But we can't ignore the risks my presence brings."