54

54

This time Wednsday, he came to her

It was a week full of fraught. Though they rekindled, she still felt immense doubt, and did not understand where they stood. The doubt and anguish came form the fact that she carded, but it didn't elieminated the negative emotions.

So when he finally showed up on her forn tporch, taking her out of her mind and into the present, she put on a tight smile and gvae him a hug.

The house was empty except for just them, and they went updatirs to sit on the couch, holding each others hands.

The first mintues were filled with small talk about hteir week until Isabelle decide to. Ring up the turht.

"I feel like we are circling each other, that's all. Never," she motioned iwth her hands, "direct."

Milo looked at her more carefuly then, asking her fently "what do you mean?"

"I feel like we;ve been out of sync this week, like soemhing's off..." Isabelle pulled back frojm him, as if hte space created would make it easier foe her to think.

I should propbaly tell you something," Milo spoke up suddenly, "my...Ex....called me this week. Out of nowhere. 7 missed calls with no caller id at first."

Isabelle looked up at him, not wanting ot know where this was going.

"And then I finally pickedu p, and it was her. She asked me if I was with someone," milo looked at her, "for all rpaitcal purposes I said yes....anyway she ketp asking me questions...macially..and then said not to tell her new boyfriend that we were talking rihgt now because he would...get physical," milo crinkled his nose and looked down.

Isabelle conritnued ot lok at him in disbelief.

"Milo, if htis is what it's going to bel ike, I don't want ot be causght up in this. In this in-between!"

Milo grabbed her hand, "I'm not caught up in anyhting. Except you. I like you."

Isabelle keptl ooking away, her heart beating fast in her chest.

"I think you're pretty, adn your'e ufnny and you're smar.t And you've been piecing me back together, day by day. I like you, Isabelle. I want ot be with you."

Isabelle's heart caught in her throat. "Do you mean that?" She asked him quietly, and he nodded.

"We have to go soon," Isabelle glanced at the clock on the oven.

"Don't you think we have some time..." He dragged his fingertips lightly along her skin, her feeling the beginnings of a flutter starting from her stomach.

Isabelle bit her lip, and finally nodded. She had a visceral need for him then and there. She got up, extending her thin arm towards him. He grabbed it, and followed her all the way downstairs into the bedroom.

In the restaurant, they ordered oysters and a bottle of wine.

While they waited, this time sitting at the bar, she turned her stool, resting her feet on his, facing him with her legs between his.

She was enthralled in their own little universe, that when she finally did look up once the waiter came, she looked around and realized that they were the most in love in this whole bar.

They talked, Isabellle could not remebr about what, but all she knew was that the conersation flowed amtirally, a coess between undestanding theur own current surrounding and hteir future plans and their past pains. And about the time they spent apart, and how they never want to do that again...

Once the bottle was finished and the bill was paid, they called a cab to thake them to the next bar, more of a speakeasy vibe.

And two strong martinis between them, they fell into each other into a kiss, one that made them feel like they were the only ones in the world.

And somewhere, lsot in him, mid kiss, he asked her;

"So when do I get to call you my girlfriend?"

She kissed him a little harder as aeuphoric rush went thourhg her mind.

"You want to call me your girlfirend?" Isaeblle asked into the kiss.

"Will you be my girlfrined?" Milo oulled bakc just slightly to look at her.

Isabelle simply pulled back in adn breathed a "Yes!" Into their mouth.

Milo's eyes crinkled with happiness and thorughtou the continued kiss, he kept saying, "I wanted to ask for a ocuple of days now, but I wanted it to be sepcial...I really wanted you to be my girflriend!"

And as if on cue, a couple moments late,r a man came into the bar sellibng flowers. Milo paid for hte arrangement iwht one single red rose and a couple of white flowers.

When he handed it to her, she didn't think she oculd be any happier. Whatever this happiness thing was, she found it in that moment, right there and then with him.

They went to a Mexican club after. And after a couple of Coropna's and ksises that had found a new, deeper meaning, they calele a car to take them home where they smoked exactly one joint and made love with a new sense of purpose for a long, long time.