Chapter 2

*Sonic's POV*
"No!" I could hear someone yelling at the distance, footsteps getting closer as they coughed. I could smell smoke as my senses were coming back to me.

Suddenly, I remembered what had happened. I had seen that thing about to shoot at Shadow, so I got in the way and took the hit for him. Shadow had already been shot with it, I was afraid he wasn't going to make it if he got hurt again. Did I manage to save him?
My eyes slowly opened, and I could suddenly feel all the pain. My sore back, all the cuts and bruises in my body.

"You're alive!" It was Tails, he coughed as he got closer to me. As I opened my eyes, I realized I was laying on top of Shadow, and he was unconscious. I started to panick, and Tails noticed. He checked for his pulse and then let out a huge sigh or relief. "He's alive."

I moved back and sat down on the grass, then looked at my surroundings with a broken heart. We failed. Everything around us was destroyed and burning, there was screaming from the distance and I instantly knew that thing had reached the city.

"We have to get out of here." I looked up to see Rouge as she started to pick up Shadow. He instantly let out a weak growl and slowly started to open his eyes.

My ears perked up at the sudden realization. "I need to go -"

"I called them. That's where we are heading." Tails stopped me before I could finish. I didn't like the idea of it but there was no other choice at the moment. Tails grabbed my hand and then pulled me to the side. "S-Sonia and Chuck... They didn't make it..." I could feel my legs weaken as he said those words. My ears dropped instantly.

"No...." I mumbled and fell to my knees. "No, that can't.... that can't - !" I started to growl, I've never felt so sad and angered in my life before. Tears started streaming down my muzzle, and then his arms were around me, hugging me, trying to calm me down.

"I'm so sorry..." Tails said as he started to cry as well and fell to his knees in front of me.

What's wrong with me? I need to keep it together. I am not the only one who's losing people here. I need to stay strong for Tails and the others, I need to focus and try to figure out how to get us out of this one. I hugged Tails back, strong and rubbed his back, slowly calming him down as I calmed down myself. We both stood back up and cleaned our tears after a bit.

"What happened to Eggman?" I turned to face Rouge and Shadow. Shadow was finally standing on his own, for once, patiently waiting for Tails and me.

"He wasn't at his lab, I wasn't able to find him." Tails answered.

"I flew around trying to locate him but wasn't able to either." Rouge sighed.

"Fine. We will find him later. Right now, we need to go somewhere safe and take care of our wounds. I know just the place."

"Where will we be going? How are we sure that it's safe to go there?" Rouge asked.

"My old place has an underground bunker, I'm sure we will be fine there." I knew they'll start asking a bunch of questions if I told them now. They'll just have to wait and find out.

"Fine, let's go." Shadow finally pitched in. "Guide the way." He nodded at me to go.

A couple of minutes later, we were standing on what used to be my family's castle. A once-grand castle, now in disrepair. Its towering stone walls are cracked and crumbled. The main gate partially collapsed, its heavy wooden doors splintered. Inside, the once-proud towers have crumbled, broken windows, and empty arrow slits dot the walls.

I ran inside. "Mom!" I shouted. "Manic!" Even louder as Tails joined in helping me search. "They're probably already in the -" I cut myself off as I saw Scourge coming from around the corner.

"Blue, you're here." He sounded tired. "I'm sorry, I tried to -" He had been crying as well.

"You did what you could... thank you." I said, sadness obviously in my voice.

"What is going on here?" Shadow growled at me. Even in crisis, hating me.

"You brought Shadow?" Scourge asked in disbelief then shook his head. "Explain later, come on. We were waiting for you." He started walking towards the entrance of the bunker.

Once we were in, I was immediately hugged by Manic and my mother. "You're safe!" My mother cried as she hugged me. "You're safe." She repeated.

Behind my mother, Tails was explaining to Shadow and Rouge what was going on. Growing up, I had to hide that I was Aleenas's son and a prince, so no one would bother my family. My mother had given me the option to continue living my life the way I wanted or come back to the castle. Of course, I chose freedom at the time. I managed to blackmail Eggman on keeping my secret and was able to continue being Sonic, helping others and risking my life. If everyone had known I was a prince, the news would always be chasing me and everyone trying to protect me instead. I didn't want that.

As they both stopped hugging me, I could see Rouge and Shadow staring at me in shock. I gave them a small chuckle as a response.

"Hello, Sonic." My ears perked up as that voice came from behind me, I turned around and prepared to fight.