Chapter 4

*Sonic's POV *
"What the hell are you doing, Faker?" Shadow rolled his eyes as I couldn't help but look over the cliff to what used to be the city I lived in. I could see my house from this high up and did not like what I was seeing.

I could see the few people that survived Skar's attack were now looking around at their friends and family dead in the streets. Everything was destroyed, most of the building had collapsed and could still see remnants of Skars fire powers. "We need to help them..." I mumbled.

"What we need to do, is find those chaos emeralds and get back. THEN, we will help them. There's nothing else we can do. We can't turn back time." Shadow crossed his arms, he was impatient, I knew he was scared of losing Rouge too. She was like a sister to him.

"Yeah... Maybe you're right."

"Of course I am right, let's go. I'm not going to be waiting around for you." Shadow started walking away while looking down at the emerald, hoping for it to give him a signal of where the other may be. 

After a very long day of searching and coming up empty handed, we decided to make camp. We both wanted to keep on searching but we knew it was better to rest too since we were both still injured from Skars attack on us.

Laying down in the grass was something I've grown up used to so I didn't complain. I laid down and looked up at the stars wondering what the next day would bring. And if I was safe to even be alone with Shadow.

"You're not going to kill me, right, Shadz?" I asked with a slight smile.

"Shut up." Shadow answered making me get back up and sit down with my legs crossed. He was laying down on top of the tree, his leg hanging over the tree branch, his arms crossed behind his head.

"She's going to be fine." I said high enough for him to hear me. I could see him tense up a bit then he jumped down and rested back on the tree while looking at me.

"So you're a prince?"

Change of subject. Got it.

"Uhm.. yeah." I rubbed the back of my head with a slight chuckle. "Prince Maurice, but I hate that name. Sonic is better." I shrugged.

"Can't believe no one knew about it." He rolled his eyes. "That doesn't change things by the way." He wasn't looking at me anymore.

"I don't want them to." I confessed then looked up at the sky again. "I don't want people treating me different just because of my family. Don't want to feel like a prince anymore than I have to. You know how painfully exhausting it is to have guards follow you around? Have people constantly expect for you to be perfect all the time?"

"Dont you already go through that with the news always covering you for saving everyone?"

"Yes and no. It's different being in the castle and the news following me. In the castle I have to constantly act who I am not. I am not who they want me to be, I am not one to constantly dress in those uncomfortable suits, one to have an arranged marriage just for the kingdom. I'll do my part risking my life than staying in a castle being protected."

I could see Shadow now looking at me. I couldn't read his expression but for once, he didn't look like he wanted to kill me. I looked back at him and gave him a soft smile. He tensed and cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry about your sister and your uncle. And your friends." Shadow said lowly.

My ears dropped as I looked down. "It's hard... But I'll deal with it when we get rid of Skar. Give them a proper burial."

"You sound like you've done this often." He chuckled but stopped as soon as he saw my reaction. I rubbed my face and stood up.

"I'm going to look for wood to make a fire." I walked off.

*Shadow's POV *
Fakers reaction made me realize I messed up saying that. Maybe I didn't know him as well as I thought. But the thought of trying to get to know him made me feel sick, creating a knot in my stomach.

My mind had been everywhere today, because of Rouge.

_____
[Morning before the accident]

"I know your secret~" Rouge walked closer to me, I was making coffee and getting ready to go to work.

"What the hell are you doing in my house, Bat?" I raised a brow as I took a sip of my coffee, tasting it to see if needed more sugar. "And what are you even talking about?"

"I saw you yesterday after work." She smiled, her smile was bigger than usual, I didn't like it.

I added more sugar to my coffee and waited for her to explain what she meant.

"Did you just pour 3 packets of sugar in your coffee?" She shook her head and took 4th packet away.

"Ey-" I snatched it back. "Just get to the point, what in the chaos are you talking about?" I growled lowly and put the sugar in my coffee, stirred it then drank some of it.

"Right." She laughed softly. "Well~ I saw you yesterday in the forest. You were fighting with Sonic again."

"So?" I shrugged. "You're not going to lecture me again are you, Bat?" I rolled my eyes and walked to the door, grabbing the keys from the counter. I rather walk or run to work, than to chaos control there.

"I don't mean that. I mean after you two stopped fighting." Rouge's smile was back on her face. Just as big and bright as before.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I rolled my eyes and started walking to work after I locked the door to my house. I knew what she meant, I was hoping it wasn't what she meant.

"I saw the way you looked at him after he left. You were hurt, weren't you? You didn't want to hit him, did you~?" My ear flickered and I growled.

"Bat-"

"You like him, don't you Hun?" She reached out, making me stop as her hand rested on my shoulder.

"I-"

"You need to tell him." She cut me off again. My ears slightly lowered then I shook my head and continued walking. "Hun, it's okay to like someone, it's okay to like Sonic." She said a little louder than I liked. Thankfully, no one was around.

"Stop it. I can't do that. I don't like him." I said, in reality I was trying to convince myself too. "I don't like him." I repeated.

"You must tell him, Hun. Please."

"No."

"You will or I will. You do know Sonic is gay right? Someone like you is surely his type. You don't wonder why he's always trying to be around you? Give it a go, Hun. Maybe this will be better than you think."

We walked to work, most of the time I was quiet or telling Rouge to shut up. But in the end, he convinced me. I'm going to tell Faker I like him, I will not expect anything in return.

------
[Present]

It's not the right time anymore.