Chapter 8

*Shadow's POV *
The next morning we got up early and prepared ourselves to go back where we had last seen Skar.

"Did you text Rouge?" Sonic asked as he walked in front of me. It had only just been an hour since we woke up but I wanted that feeling back already. Having his arms around me and mine around him.

"Yes. She hasn't answered yet but the message went through." I answered and he nodded.

"Shadow?" He called as he looked ahead of him.

"Yes?" I answered but wasn't looking up, I was looking down at my phone waiting for an answer.

"Does this mean we are... a couple?" He was hesitant to finish that sentence and the sudden question made me stop walking. I was not expecting that. Sonic stopped just a few steps in front of me then turned to look at me again. "I-I mean... we don't have to be anything... I could not say anything, maybe we could be a secret or we could-"

"Yes. A couple." I said without letting myself get into my head again. With everything going on, I didn't want to waste another second. "Unless you don't want that." I kept walking trying to keep my cool.

"I do... I do want that." He answered with a bright yet shy smile. "Can I ask you something?"

"It's not like I can stop you." I answered back.

"Since when have you had feelings for me?" This time he wasn't hesitant to ask.

"We are going there already?" I asked and stopped looking at my phone, knowing I had to answer. "I hated you, or at least I thought I did. Since I met you I was trying to get rid of you but it hurt to hurt you, I always beat myself up for hurting you the way I did but I thought that's what my feelings were, hatred." I confessed. "Not long ago I realized that wasn't what I felt and was just being brainwashed by GUN since they need me focus to kill if need be. To them, feelings are a weakness. Rouge had convinced me to tell you how I felt but then all of this started and I knew it wasn't the right time. But I realized that we aren't guaranteed anything, so I tried to tell you anyways."

Sonic nodded and smiled. "I sort of always had a crush on you. I knew you hated me but I really liked you and just wanted to at least get to know you. I wanted to be a part of your life, I was so close to giving up, because I just wanted you to be happy, and I realized that you hated me so much. I thought it would be better if I stopped completely but then this started."

"Thank you for not making me say it out loud." I chuckled and he laughed softly. "I've never..."

"I know. That's why I didn't want you to feel pressured."

We finally reached the clearing where Skar had had Sonic in his hands the day before and we started looking around. Our emeralds started glowing as we reached closer to a hollow tree stump. Sonic reached down on it and when he pulled his arm out, he was holding the chaos emerald.

"One more to go." I said as I then started to feel my phone buzz between my quills. I pulled out the phone and answered the call. It was Rouge.

"I saw your text Hun, Metal wasn't in the lab when we went in. And we didn't find another emerald other than the ones Eggman told us about." She said. "He must have it but it'll be hard to find him unless Sonic is willing to risk it as bait." She was on speaker so Sonic was able to hear. I was about to deny that idea when Sonic agreed with it and said he would do it. "There's something I must tell you two. We figured out a way to fix this but it's risky. We will talk about it when you guys are here." She said then the call dropped. My phone had died.

"Are you crazy?" I asked him. "You're not-" I was stopped, Sonic looked mad.

"You're not going to be ordering me around. If there's a way I can help, I will do it, you can't change my mind or stop me." He said clearly mad, I could only agree with him.

"Fine but I'm staying close by just in case." I sighed.

"Didn't know you were the over protective type, Shadz~"

"Will you stop calling me that?" I rolled my eyes.

"Why? I like it." He let out a soft giggle and lightly blushed.

Chaos. I just want to kiss him... but it's too soon.

I cleared my throat and kept on walking. Now that we were both feeling better and well rested, we could start running but we were afraid we were going to catch Skars attention if he saw or heard us running. We had to keep walking and hope to find Metal soon.