Chapter 10

*Sonic's POV *
"He wanted to find me and give me the emerald. He wanted for us to get rid of Skar." I said, Shadow was now beside me as we collected the emeralds together making sure we had them all.

I couldn't help but feel bad. Here was Metal who was programed to torture me and kill me, motionless and silent. I will fix this. I will get rid of Skar, no matter what.

"He knew what Eggman was creating was a bad idea. He tried to stop him and wouldn't let himself give up until he gave me the emerald, he made sure Skar wouldn't get them." I murmured. "I guess he wasn't so bad afterall..."

"We should head back, we have all the emeralds and Rouge said they found a way to fix all of this so let's go." Shadow said and grabbed my hand. Without a warning, we were suddenly back at the castle.

"They should be back at the bunker. Let's go." I started walking ahead of him but still holding his hand. Shadow didn't mind it either and didn't let go.

"Shadow! Sonic! Over here!" I turned the corner and saw Tails running towards me and Rouge flying right beside him. "You're here! You're safe!" Tails didn't hesitate and jumped at me and hugged me. I let go of Shadow's hand and hugged back.

"Hi buddy." I laughed then let go. "We got all the emeralds. You said there was a way to fix this?" I asked and looked at Rouge who was hugging Shadow but he pushed her away with a low growl.

I guess he's only comfortable with me.

"Right... About that..." Rouge sighed. "It's... risky and complicated." She said as we started walking to a room. There was one of Tails experiments but I had never seen this one before. It looked like... a door frame?

Shadow walked beside me, standing close by. "What do you mean?" Shadow asked, his ear lightly twitched as I held his hand again.

"Sonic?" I turned around when I heard my mother and Manic call my name. I sighed in relief knowing they were safe. Before I could say anything, I noticed all eyes were on me and Shadow and suddenly I realized that they didn't know we were together.

With everything going on, it slipped my mind to even try a d hide it from anyone. But I didn't care. I wasn't sure if the plan was going to work or what the plan even was so I shook my head at them. "Long story." I said to everyone. "I'm glad yall are oka-" The floor started to tremble. And stone started to fall from the walls.

"He's here." Eggman said from behind the machine where him and Tails were working.

"Sonic! Shadow! This machine, with the help of all the emeralds will help one of you go-" Rouge stopped as Skar came into the room. My mother, and Manic had already gone back to the bunker but Scourge stayed behind ignoring my brothers plead to go with them.

He didn't last long, as soon as Skar was in the room, he went straight for Scourge. He put up a good fight, enough for us to put all the emeralds in the machine but no matter how hard Scourge fought... He ended up not being strong enough to stop Skar for more than a minute. His body was now thrown towards a pile of stone on the corner of the room.

"This will help one of you go back! Go back to before Eggman started working on this!" Tails shouted as Rouge now fought with Skar, Eggman using some of his robots to help her. "The problem is...! Eggman had been working on Skar 2 years now! So you'll need to go to that time and stop it! Destroy everything about this experiment! But...! Using the emeralds for this... will also take something away from you!"

My heart dropped. We would save everyone, but we'd also lose something. "What do we lose?"

"The emeralds chose." Tails said, hurt in his voice. "It's activated. All you have to do is walk in it while wearing this dev- AHHH!" Skar launched at Tails.

I turned to look at the scene that Skar left behind. Shadow was looking in horror as he saw his best friend fighting for her life. He let go of my hand and launched at Skar. "Shadow! Tails!" I yelled and grabbed the device Tails was talking about.

I need to go through it while holding this. I watched as Shadow and Tails fought as much as they could. My heart was racing, my hands were sweaty, my breathing became rapid and shallow, I couldn't catch my breathe, it was as if something was pressing on me. My hands were now shaking as I held the device in hand. I couldn't watch this. I wanted to help, but if I didn't go through, I wouldn't be able to save them, save everyone.

"Go!" Shadow yelled. "Go through! NOW!" He ordered and as I looked up...

"SHADOW!!!" I watched as Skar stabbed him and twisted the knife on him. Skar turned to look at me, punched Tails out of the way and launched.

I didn't hesitate, I ran.

And just as he was about to grab me, I passed through the machine... The last thing I saw... was Shadow's hand fall...