28. On Course Once Again

Willy shivered as the boat jerked into the bay. The hull wasn't large enough for a room, so he was coerced into spending the night on the deck. He eyed the frost-covered bench, sighing inwardly at the measly towel boasting the words "Premium Economy" draped over one edge.

He thought, for a moment, to join the captain and strike up a conversation, but he wasn't in the right attitude to participate in mindless conversation. Quite the contrary actually, for as he plopped onto the cold wooden bench—not caring to swipe off the snow that had accumulated upon it—his mind drifted to Y/n once more.

Something about the star-speckled sky practically called out her name. The faint constellations seemed to arrange two figures dancing along the horizon. One's dress flowed out from beneath them and almost wrapped around their partner, who led the dazy dance. Willy decided to name the silhouette Y/n. The other... well, he'd think about it.

'Has she even realized I've left yet?' he found himself wondering as he set his case, walking stick, and duffel bag down beside him. Doubt crept into the recesses of his mind, urging him to sail back to his love.

'No!' he scolded himself, fidgeting with his sore right hand in an attempt to keep his sanity intact. He was selfish enough to bring a keepsake to remind him of her, this was a low he wouldn't stand.

"What am I doing?" he whispered to himself, vocalizing the pitiful argument between his heart and his better judgment. He wasn't left with a moment to stew in his thoughts though, as a familiar piccolo pierced the silence.

"Oompa-Loompa doompety-dee,
I'm not in premium economy."

The little orange man sang, pulling a box behind himself as if it were a rickshaw. Usually, Willy would find such a sight amusing, but his smile seemed to dissolve with the thought of his past friends. Not to mention the frosted breezes which seemed to cement his grimace in its place.

"I'd take first class if I were you;
that's what Oompa-Loompas doompety-doo!"

Lofty propped open the box to reveal it resembled Willy's own suitcase. Instead of chocolate though, it was a mini bar of sorts with a tiny chair in the center for the half-foot Oompa-Loompa in question.

"So glad you're here," Willy groaned through gritted teeth. He could already feel the faint brush of a future migraine in his peripheral as Lofty chuckled.

"Oh, I'm not going to let you out of my sight, Willy Wonka," went the Oompa-Loompa with what Willy decided was a funny English accent. "Not 'till you've paid your debt," he informed the ex-chocolatier. Willy watched as he stirred together a wildly colorful drink. Shades of pink and luminescent turquoise were thrown into a lavender liquid. "But I bring glad tidings on that score."

Genuinely curious, he asked, "What's that?" In all honesty, he wasn't sure himself whether he was referring to the so-called "glad tidings" or the beverage forming in front of his eyes. Lofty took it he was inquiring about the former.

"I've been doing my sums; one more jar and we're even. Or, if you prefer, I will accept half a jar of those rather amusing hover-chocs," he iced and shook his drink together.

While the thought of Lofty getting along with Abacus and the worth of different types of chocolates skimmed his mind, the first words out of his mouth were: "You're outta luck. I don't make chocolate anymore."

"Oh dear, please, don't tell me you're going to go through with this ridiculous deal?" Lofty scoffed.

To Willy, the decision was simple, "I have to; for Y/n and Noodle. I promised them a better life together... I pinkie promised." If this was the only way he could provide them solace, then so be it.