31. Failing to Settle Your Accounts

You found yourself rushing to the heart of the city alongside your favorite chocolatier. You and Willy woke up just a few minutes prior, worried about what may happen to the guests. He'd explained to you that the reason he left in the first place was to try and give you and the others a better life—free of the tiresome toil you faced in the laundry. You commended him for the valiant effort but weren't sure about why he was in such a hurry. When you asked, he just fidgeted with his hands and muttered something about the other chocolatiers likely not keeping their end of the bargain.

While the explanation was flimsy, you hadn't much time to inquire any further for he took your hand and practically ran through the streets. As of that point, you were racing against the rising sun as the time was a quarter past five o'clock.

It had only been a day since the cut of winter and yet the cobblestone path was then near-completely dry and lacked the majority of the damp snow that inhabited its crevasses earlier. Not only that but the opening of windows and footsteps of early risers were coupled with the sound of returning bluebirds chirping with glee.

"Woah!" you exclaimed as Willy came to a sudden halt and you nearly slipped onto the ground. "Willy, you got to warn me next time you abruptly stop running," you panted, looking up to find him staring with wonder at the displays in the shop before him.

"What is this place?" he asked, eyes not moving from the polished items behind the glass. They glistened in the morning sunlight and shone gold on Willy.

It wasn't hard to answer since the shop was one-of-a-kind. "It's a jewelry shop—the only one in the Galleries Gourmet. The other restaurants tried shutting it down in place of another food shop, but they never ran out of business," you explained.

He continued gawking at something in the back that you couldn't quite make out before you decided to snap him out of it. "Willy, come on, we're wasting time." The man didn't budge, so you grabbed him by the shoulders and turned him towards you. "I'll bring you back here after we get the guests, alright?"

He bit his lip, taking one last look at the shop's sign before agreeing with you.

───── ˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚ ─────

Noodle lay in bed, stirring quietly as the first rays of sunlight approached her window. The soft, warm glow seeped through the glass, enveloping her in a sense of tranquility. Despite the thin cotton blanket offering little comfort, the temptation to linger in bed was strong. After a few fleeting moments of consideration, the girl relented, surrendering to the gentle pull of wakefulness and wriggling out of bed.

Her mattress creaked viciously as she got up to her desk. The usual breakfast of slop that Y/n served out every morning was nowhere to be found.

Noodle shrugged it off, simply settling on the fact that she must've woken up earlier than Y/n. She changed out of her sleeping gown and headed across the hall to Y/n and Willy's room. Knocking quietly—as to not disturb the guests—she waited for a brief moment. When she received no answer, she gently pushed open the door to find the room uninhabited as well. Barren save for the single water bucket, frying pans, and loads of strange inventions.

"Huh," she mumbled, wondering where the lovebirds went before deciding they must've been preparing food in the kitchen. She left the hall and hurried down the stairs but was met with no laughing, or conversation, or waft of chocolate. No, the pair were nowhere to be found.

Twee!

Came the sound of Bleacher's whistle. Noodle found it odd that he'd begun roll call that early, and the sound seemed to be coming from the lobby. The noise must've awoken the other guests since confused voices came from upstairs.