.blank space.

▪️▪️▪️

▪️▪️▪️

"Wait."

Siddharth blurted out, his voice tinged with urgency. "If you knew it was me, why did you agree to meet me then?"

Saanjh paused, her back still turned to him. Slowly, she turned around, a wry smile playing on her lips.

"I love to create a mess, don't I?" she asked, narrowing her eyes. It was a direct echo of Viraj's words from the awards night. "Had I known I was going to meet you, do you think I would've said yes to this?"

Her words hung in the air, carrying an unspoken challenge.

As Saanjh walked away, her words lingered in the air, leaving Siddharth with a mix of bewilderment and intrigue. He followed her out into the hallway, determined to clear the air or perhaps just to understand this unexpected turn of events.

"Saanjh," he called after her, his voice echoing down the corridor.

Saanjh turned to face him, her expression guarded yet curious. "Arranged marriage? Weren't you flirting with me just a few days back?"

What an ass!

"It was you." he admitted, a smile playing on his lips.

It was her he wanted to take out for coffee. And now she was here, the potential match by his dadi.

"Yes, but you didn't know—or were you pretending?" She shot back, her voice tinged with accusation. "You knew all along it was me, yet you wanted to show off, win me as one of your games?"

The accusation hit him unexpectedly, and for a moment, he was at a loss for words.

"I didn't know it was you," he finally replied, his voice earnest. "I only found out when I saw you in the art room."

"You read the name plate in the college, for fuck's sake." She groaned.

"And you carry the most unique last name, Mittal." Annoyance took over him as he declared. "Was there any name? How could I expect Saanjh Mittal to be a professor in some college?"

She shut her eyes as she realised it was all a big mishap and now this was a confusion.

She opened her eyes and sighed. "Look, we can just go back and let our families know that this is a big mistake. This arranged set-up, this is not going to work."

He hadn't anticipated this meeting to unravel in such a chaotic manner. He only wanted to meet the girl, be polite and say no the next day.

"So you agreed to this thing? What world do you live in? Could you not find a girl for yourself? Arranged marriage? Really?" Saanjh asked, her tone incredulous. "The Siddharth Kasliwal, here to see a girl in arranged marriage set-up."

"Could you find a guy for yourself?" he shot back, raising an eyebrow at her. "The Saanjh Mittal, here with a guy, out of arranged set-up."

His words hit a nerve, making her go momentarily numb. She quickly masked her reaction, maintaining her composure.