Chapter 36 And They Say Chivalry Is Dead

Ash's hand gets extremely tight around mine, and Trish grabs Tryston's arm. Dalton makes eye contact with me and walks towards me with his sister Bianca following behind him. I position myself between Tryston and Ash, taking a deep breath knowing he wouldn't do anything in public.

Dalton approaches the group and looks at me, "Can I talk to you privately?"

The pit of my stomach falls and my nerves immediately go up, before I can answer Ash crosses his arms.

Ash looks him up and down, "Why should we allow you to talk with her."

Dalton looks at him with some anger in his eyes, "I just wanted to talk to her about the other day. I am not going to do anything to her, just wanted to talk."

I step in before Ash and Tryston start a fight, "Guys, it's okay. We will go down the sidewalk and you can keep an eye on us."

Taking a deep breath, I turn and make my way towards the end of the sidewalk. Clasping my hands together so the shaking doesn't show, and turning to come face to face with Dalton.

Dalton looks me up and down, almost as though he had worry in his eyes, "I just wanted to apologize personally for the other day. I didn't mean to freak you out."

Sucking in a breath and looking at him, "Well, we ended up on really bad terms so seeing you was a shock."

He nods and crosses his arms looking at me, "Please tell me the truth. Are you pregnant?"

I stare at him nervous that he is going to burst out angry, "Yes I am. No, I don't need your opinion."

He takes a deep breath and looks at me, "I wasn't going to get mad at you. I was just going to tell you that I am happy for you considering I know you were scared to get pregnant."

Staring at him, unable to process any words out my mouth, afraid that any moment he would start getting angry about something.

Dalton hands me a piece of paper, "Look this is my new phone number. No, you don't have to contact me. I do still care whether you think I do or not. Mainly Lu has been heartbroken since you left and hasn't been the same."

I shove the paper in my pocket and stare at him, "Why are you here?"

Sighing he looks at me, "I have morals and you know that. My mom is dying so I came to be with her and my family. Lu is here with me as well. Even if you don't want to see me, you should try to visit her. Lu lost weight from not eating much since you left."

The stab in the chest is back and before I can open my mouth to say anything else Ash comes beside me, "I think that's enough talking to her. We need to get going."

Dalton chuckles, "Look's like prince charming doesn't really like me."

 Ash's face turns red as  he faces Dalton, "It looks like emo goth boy can't realize when he is wanted."

Daltons fist close facing Ash, "You have no idea about anything so just fucking leave it."

Ash puts me behind him, "I know that you are a pussy and you couldn't man up to a woman who is amazing."

Daltons face turns angry, "At least I took care of her and made sure everything was stable before I even thought about knocking her up."

Tryston appears from out of no where and shoves Dalton away from Ash, "Get the fuck away from us. We don't want to be near you."

Dalton goes to face up but his sister grabs his arm and whispers something in his ear. 

Dalton nods and turns back to follow his sister inside the restaurant. Ash grabs my hand walking me to the truck as though to get me out of there as fast as possible.

Ash starts his truck and looks over at me, "Did he say anything to you?"

I shake my head, "Nothing that was bad. Just told me he was sorry and that Lu was down here with him."

Ash runs a hand through his hair, "I don't like how he just shows up and expects to talk to you."

I look out the window, "I have no idea."

Feeling warm arms wrapped around me and my body being moved around, slowly opening my eyes. Looking up to notice that Ash has carried me inside from the vehicle. Laying my head back against his chest, "I love you."

Ash sets me down on the couch and kisses my forehead, "I love you too."

I curl up watching as he closes the front door and puts the leftovers in the fridge. As he comes back around to sit next to me, I can't help but look up at his hazel eyes that are focused on me.

Ash smiles and lays his head on my stomach, "Are you sure you're doing okay after everything?"

Running my fingers through his hair and closing my eyes, "I don't know babe. I just had thought coming here I would never see him again. Now a month later and he shows up. Honestly, I have no idea how to feel about it."

Massaging his head and running my fingers through his hair, and he relaxes into me wrapping his arms around me. Ash rubs my tummy, "I get that. I just am terrified you're going to have feelings for him again."

I open my eyes and look down at him, "He ruined that when he told me that he had pushed those feelings aside. I could never go back, you make me feel something. My heart feels safe and loved, and now there's a little bean inside me. You are sitting here protecting both of us."

Ash kisses my belly and closes his eyes, "I really do love you and I am sorry for all of the concern. I just want both of you safe."

"We are safe because we have you, my love."

Leaning my head back and closing my eyes, Ash snuggles closer to me wrapping a blanket around us. My body drifts off into sleep and all I can think is how Dalton's eyes looked when he saw me. The look of concern, when we first were healthy.

Deep in my mind, all I can pray is that hopefully things are getting better for him.