Chapter Eight

(3 Months later - Vail, Colorado - Winter of 2028)

••••••••••

The sound of the harsh wind is strong against one's ears, it almost being like a howling noise as the snow falls down on the ground as the wind howls and the trees all groan. Grass no longer being seen, only just pure and bright white of the snow. No leaves on the trees, the branches being thin and the trees barely being up from the harsh winter and snow storms experienced.

The man and the woman quickly get inside of a shed in the base area that is fenced all around, different buildings and even houses being in the base. Snow is around their coats and in their hair, the woman shivering harshly as the man goes to turn on the heat. "Brrr." She shivers, going to back off her backpack. "Sheesh it's cold."

"I think this winter has been especially harsh since the last ones." The man comments, him taking off his backpack as well.

"Ain't that the truth." The woman goes to sit down by one of the heaters, rubbing her arms. "We only managed to get a little bit of food, and we barely have any of our guys left for hunting, making all of the women and teens scared to volunteer."

"Yeah I know."

"I guess my question is what the hell are we going to do?" The woman asks. "We can't keep getting ambushed like this on every single hunt."

"We weren't ambushed."

"Yeah but how much you wanna bet another group was ambushed while out, and you know I ain't talking infected." The woman crosses her arms.

"I know." The man sighs, him turning to look at her after adjusting the thermostat. "We'll figure something out, and Kenneth and his brothers are already setting up different blockades and perimeters to keep that unwanted fucker and other unwanted guests out. I'm sure he has more planned too."

"Hopefully."

"Let's just sit down and get warm." The man goes to sit on the table across from her, his eyes going towards the cracked door in the shed. "Did you leave that door open before we left?"

The woman looks over at the cracked door. "No."

"I swear if it is those kids again."

"Probably trying to prank us again."

"Hey! You little fuckers!" The man goes over to the door, him swiftly opening the door more to the pitch black small room. "How many times do I have to tell you all to stay out of here—"